Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

God damn SPAM!

Quote Reply
God damn SPAM!
Man...why do people do it? I have just got 300+ emails from one email (padet@cat.or.th if you wanna send them a 'nice' message...lol). I'm still downloading the emails now, and I've been going olmost an hour! Each of them has an attachement, which is a virus (being picked up by my virus scanner)

Why do they bother? Unsure

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] God damn SPAM! In reply to
You're downloading them all?! Ugh. Why don't you just d 1-300 ?

- wil
Quote Reply
How big is the attachment?....if it is quite big and you don't normally receive emails with large attachments you should really consider setting databytes or the equivalent for your mail server to bounce big emails.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 15, 2002, 2:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] God damn SPAM! In reply to
Yeah..I've turned on SPAM filter in Outlook..but its still taking ages to download Frown

I would set a max attachemtn size, but due to the things I do on my site (such as installations), people email me the ZIP files of the scripts they want installed...so this isn't really a viable option. I've got away with major SPAM quite lightly the last year..this is my first major attack for quit some time.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Just nuke them from your mail queue....you can do it with webmin if thats what you are comfortable with.
Quote Reply
Its not running on the webmin mail system...but rather just redirecting via ZoneEdit directly.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I'm not sure what you mean by "redirecting via zoneedit"....you don't have the mail server on your current server?
Quote Reply
Yeah, install some sort of web-based email system, and use that to zap the bad stuff. I've been doing it this way for months, and it saves tons of headaches.

Important: make sure that whatever web-based email system you select also displays the file size. I've gotten some spam that were as large as 500K. Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] God damn SPAM! In reply to
Argh..thats it! This geezer has piS#*ed me off waaay too much! I'm just gonna get Tier1Host to set up a mail filter on this email addy! He just sent me another 200 emails! Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Do you not have root access on that server?
Quote Reply
As Paul is alluding to, you could login into your account via telnet or SSH and if you could delete your mbox "file" and then re-create it or if you have a *nix based email program installed, like Pine, you could simply delete the messages in your inbox, rather than downloading the email messages and attachments through a GUI client program, like Outlook.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] God damn SPAM! In reply to
>>mbox "file"<<

Or mdir if using something like qmail

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 15, 2002, 7:50 AM
Quote Reply
As I said, its going straight to my POP3 server, which is hosted on Tier1Host.net's server. I've managed to block him now though...and hopefully I won't have any more problems from that person again Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Do an IP trace and find out what Pipe he is on and contact the Pipe owner. They will in turn contact the ISP who will in turn shut him down.

It works! But only if you go after the Pipe rather than the spammers ISP. ISP's sometimes don't care but when they are looking at getting their pipe closed off they seem to jump to the occasion.

Tongue