Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

The function of the community..?

Quote Reply
The function of the community..?
Hi

the whole community plug in is something i have waited on for a long time..

The questions are:

We have modified the structuire of the user table in the Links by adding many new fields.. those are required to run serveral plug ins..

How will the community handle this? Do I have to create those entries in the community table before improting?

When the user update his or her profile in the Gforum will it auto update in the community as well? Same o the links?

In basics why do not the community plug in work as a central users database that will synchronize between all the GT products and upon any changes in any database it will update the central one as weel and the other way around..

I hope someone from GT can clear this for a lot of us who are VERY hesitant in using the community due to those among other reasons.
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] The function of the community..? In reply to
Hi!

What I beleive is that GT needs to bring out Community (only) versions for all their products which works or may work with Community. Like saying Links SQL v 3.0 Community Edition + Gmail v 3.0 Community Edition etc. And standardise all of them, ONCE for all.

In those versions and also in GT Community 1.0 one can import fields from the old tables including User table from all applications which goes into community and then remaining will be a new format of the table in the remaining applications.

This makes sure that if a field is there in an application, it belongs to that application. If it needs to be available to other applications it needs to be in the User_comm table. Without this I speculate chaos.

Further, a more flexibility is needed in the __PREFIX__ naming of the fields in the GT Community User_comm table. A general $field1_comm like approach would be fantastic as it helps sharing other applications.