Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Plugin idea! Stats

Quote Reply
Plugin idea! Stats
OK, so I had to go forward and start thinking about Community plugins already. But hey, why not.

Since Community handles all the user data a natural plugin would be a stats program that gave information to the admin such as:

Total Users Currently Logged In:
Total Users Logged In Last 24 Hours:
Total Users Logged In MTD:
Total New Users Last 24 Hours:
Total New Users MTD:
Total Signups Without Validation Last 24 Hours:
Total Signups Without Validation MTD:
Total Signups At 3 Day Unvalidated Limit:

It would be nice if it could see application use as well but I do not think it can such as:
Total Users Currently Logged In LinksSQL (install name 1):
Total Users Logged In LinksSQL MTD (install name 1):
Total Users Currently Logged In LinksSQL (install name 2):
Total Users Logged In LinksSQL MTD (install name 2):
Total Users Currently Logged In GForum:
Total Users Logged In GForum MTD:
Total Users Currently Logged In GMail:
Total Users Logged In GMail MTD:

Obviously this is an early thought but I do feel that this or something like it will be a valuable addon to the Community system.

With this some very cool tags could be generated for the user_home template as well such as:
You are the XXXXX person to login this month or today
There are XXXX people using the forum
XXXX people have taken us up on or free email account offer this month
and so on...

Again this is just a thought...

Brian

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Feb 3, 2003, 9:28 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Plugin idea! Stats In reply to
I like the idea. Cool
Likely much more stat info could be implemented into the plugin.

Ian already has Stats plugin for LSQL, so since he has experience in that subject he might take the task to create such plugin sometime later...

Anyway, first we will have to wait until final release to see what hooks were implemented into GComm.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Plugin idea! Stats In reply to
I understand about the "final release" obviously.Wink

I do think thought that this might be something that is an "in house" plugin as it deals with and has to have the flexability to work with ALL GT programs including GForum, LinksSQL, GMail, and any forthcoming add on from GT.

The folks at Iuni are really good developers (I use them all the time for custom development and own numerous licenses of UM, EM and RC). I am sure that they could do it but it just seems a natural for GT to put together due to the multiple platforms and potential changes effecting the plugin all the time. This would be a very hard plugin for an outside developer to support effeciently.

I really do feel that a simple plugin for stats is the best answer as well. This way the support would be less and the time to market much quicker. But of course these are just my thoughts!Smile
Quote Reply
I believe a stats plugin does not need to be effective (at least is not a requirement).
It will be likely executed only on admin part.
Even if would be used by users would be not executed to much times as a page.cgi or jump.cgi, therefore we don't have to afraid about the server resources.

There could be plugins, which would require more careful programming. I think this is not a stats plugin.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Another Idea:

Banning an IP, domain, and/or username from Community.

Cool
Quote Reply
Hi,

See Setup->Misc and Setup->User Signup.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.