Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Links 2.1.2 required???

Quote Reply
Links 2.1.2 required???
Hi:

I got community installed, imported users ok, then tried to get the plugin running... but i get this error:

Error running installation code: Plugins::Auth_Community (46348): You must upgrade to Links SQL 2.1.2 before installing this plugin! at (eval 139) line 82.

????

dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Links 2.1.2 required??? In reply to
I think you need 2.1.2 if you have more than one LinksSQL installation (perhaps also even if you have more than one product not sure)

Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Links 2.1.2 required??? In reply to
Well, I edited the plug-in so it would work...

I thought 2.1.2 was just a quick fix for a couple minor problems, and not worth upgrading to unless you suffered those specific problems?
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
If you're running linksql under mod_perl and you want to use it in conjunction with community you must upgrade...
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
I would imagine there are extras in 2.1.2,. which are necessary for the community plugin to work....

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
I thought 2.1.2 was just a quick fix for a couple minor problems, and not worth upgrading to unless you suffered those specific problems?

If the message says you must upgrade to use the plugin then it is there for a reason :)
Quote Reply
I noticed you have a Problem.cgi so users can report a problem for each link - which plugin are you using for that?

Klaus

ps. sorry for this unrealated post

http://www.ameinfo.com
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] Links 2.1.2 required??? In reply to
Uhm. I wanted to defer upgrade to v2.1.2 until possible, but seems I will have to do the upgrade.
However I think will just do a separate 2.1.2 installation for developments...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Links 2.1.2 required??? In reply to
If I may ask: what is your reason for not upgrading?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Links 2.1.2 required??? In reply to
Yes of course.
I do RCS version checking for each upgrade, when I do the version upgrade on my regular development installation (this takes some time, but does worth the sweat).
Therefore I can be up-to-date with the changes done in modules or files.
For new plugin testing purpose, I do install clean version installs e.g. for v2.1.1, or v2.1.2. I don't do RCS version checking for test installs, just for my regular installation.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Jan 25, 2003, 2:26 PM
Quote Reply
Re: Problem.cgi In reply to
klauslovgreen :

It is not a plug-in, it pre-dates plug-ins, from back i the days when everyone hacked their installs.... It is a quick cgi scprit I popped out back on version beta .96 or so, and I have just always liked it, so I have kept it. If you want a copy, I would be happy to send it to you!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: Why I do not upgrade In reply to
Yogi:

Quote:

If I may ask: what is your reason for not upgrading?

Well, my install is NOT a straight Links install. It has a LOT of mods to make it work the way I want it to. An upgrade- for me- is having my site down a couple days while I re-tweak a bunch of different places.

I have gotten better at it, globals have helped me a LOT, but there are still some changes I need to make to the scripts themselves. For me, the upgrade to include Reviews was well worth it, but that must have taken 3-4 days or so. For a "minor" upgrade, at least up until this stumbling block, it did not seem worth the effort!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Why I do not upgrade In reply to
We may be getting off-topic here, but:

that's the beauty of having plugins! I have also a very customized directory, but I just have a plugin which contains all the custom code, so upgrading is no problem!

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Why I do not upgrade In reply to
Yogi:

I agree... I just do not know how to write one! I have no clue what a hook or a 'pre this or post that is... Unimpressed
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Why I do not upgrade In reply to
OK, fair enough.

It's not so difficult to learn to write a plugin, and once you know how, it saves you a lot of updating trouble....

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
I can totally relate to carfac on this point. I have no doubt that I would be capable of writing a plugin, but I've never done it because I've never really encountered a basic tutorial or set of instructions for what they are and how they work. As someone who's written a few, do you have any suggestions/recommendations for the closest thing to "Plugins 101"? Just looking for something to get me started - I'm sure I can figure out the tricky stuff with time, once I understand the basic concepts.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] Why I do not upgrade In reply to
Unfortunately, I don't have an introduction ready.... but here are a few things:

- read the chapters in the help files about plugins, that should give you a global idea of how plugins work and what they are.

- play with the plugin wizard (it will get you started with a basic working plugin; you then just have to add your own code).

- have a look at the existing plugins (there are quite a few), go through the code, try to understand what happens.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Unfortunately, I don't have an introduction ready.... but here are a few things:

- read the chapters in the help files about plugins, that should give you a global idea of how plugins work and what they are.

- play with the plugin wizard (it will get you started with a basic working plugin; you then just have to add your own code).

- have a look at the existing plugins (there are quite a few), go through the code, try to understand what happens.

And last, but not least...read all my threads on plugin writing....cos I always ask the dumb questions Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
Error running installation code: Plugins::Auth_Community (46348): You must upgrade to Links SQL 2.1.2 before installing this plugin!

It looks like it will be required to run Community regardless of mod_perl. The reason is that Links SQL 2.1.1 stored sessions on disk in a directory (as it never really had the need for sql based session management).

However, Community needs to be able to log out a user, not knowing their session information. It's not practical to do this with disk based sessions.

Links SQL 2.1.2 moved session handling into a Sessions table, and Community needs this. You may run into problems running Community on 2.1.1 or less.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Links 2.1.2 required??? In reply to
Well, for those that care- BOTH of you!- I bit the bullet and upgraded LinksSQL. Not too bad, did the whole upgrade in 1 hour, with all my edits. Getting quicker, but it does help to have notes. Also, some of my mods have been changed to globals- those are GREAT.

Looking forward to Community! Once again Alex et. al. have a great idea, and I expect this to go a lot further that we see right now!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase