Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Keeps going to account area, and not 'url'

Quote Reply
Keeps going to account area, and not 'url'
Hi. I'm having a play with GCommunity on UltraNerds at the moment. I've got it setup so that its registered in GCommunity, and also have the plugin installed/setup in the LSQL admin.

The problem is, that I just keeps on showing the members area page (i.e click here to goto...). I've tried everything (including sending &url= in the query string. Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Keeps going to account area, and not 'url' In reply to
Hi,

Are they on separate domains, or the same domain? It won't work if it's domain1.com and domain2.com, and if it's forum.domain.com and domain.com then you need to put '.domain.com' into User Sessions->Cookie Domain.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Keeps going to account area, and not 'url' In reply to
Ah, that will be where I'm going wrong. I'm trying to link UltraNerds.com and SQLWidgets.com together (so they only have to log in/signup on one domain, and they can then add links/resources etc on all the other sites).

Is there any way around this? Its on a GT server, and as you know, you can have multiple domains on a particular user...i.e;

/home/domain_user/domain1.com
/home/domain_user/domain2.com
/home/domain_user/domain3.com

...etc .... where 'domain_user' has access to all of those 3 sites.

Any advice is very much welcomed :)

Chers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

Not yet, we are working on it though. The issue is transferring the session. The browser can't tell sqlwidgets.com that it is authenticated in ultranerds.com. Security in the browser prevents that (i.e. to stop example.com from reading your amazon.com session id).

It gets a lot more complex, you need to work like ms passport and do a bounce back:

1. Visit sqlwidgets.com -- it detects you are not logged in and sends you to ultranerds.com for login
2. ultranerds says you are logged in and sends you back to sqlwidgets with a validation token
3. sqlwidgets gets that token, then does it's own http request to validate the token.
4. once the token is validated, it then gives you your own session and allows you to continue.

Hope this make sense,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Mmm... thats a pain then :( I suppose I need to just use the default authentication process then?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, I've asked this before :)

is there a way to let SQLWidets notify Community that it's taken in a new name, and "reserve" that username from being used by anyone else?

1) A user tries to sign up on a remote site.
2) the sign-up script checks to see that the username has not been taken in Community, and then "reserves" it.
3) the script moves on to the next level of sign up. The user completes signup.
4) SQLwidets tells community the user has signed up, the name is now "entered" with the Username / SiteName no other data needed.
5) "validation" doesn't matter, because community isn't doing anything yet.
6) if the "reserved" name is not entered in 3 or 5 days, it's expunged, and available. (maybe check with the site that entered it, to see status of the name)

That way, when remote logon are enabled, all the remote sites have "unique" usernames, and no "crashes" when the databases are imported.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
All my websites are now on the same server and I've got round this problem by:
  • setting the session_cookie_domain with the server/site address rather than the domain name.
  • putting the links back to the individual applications with the server/site address.
  • leaving the user link from the individual applications as it was.

Not ideal but it works.
Alba
Quote Reply
Wonder if you could do a modification to Auth_Community Plugin (LSQL) to do the following (it would be possible to integrate different domain LSQL thereafter):

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=270958#270958

I am on to last few posts perhaps....

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Keeps going to account area, and not 'url' In reply to
In Reply To:
Wonder if you could do a modification to Auth_Community Plugin (LSQL) to do the following (it would be possible to integrate different domain LSQL thereafter):

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=270958#270958

I am on to last few posts perhaps....

I wish I had enough time to look into this :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks and no probs.
Just as i said, i am on last few posts so thanking most of "Helping Hands" as i would not be there on forums anymore...

Anup

Last edited by:

anup123: Aug 16, 2004, 7:16 AM