Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Internet Explorer 8 doesn't stay logged into community.

Quote Reply
Internet Explorer 8 doesn't stay logged into community.
Hi,

I've been forgetting to see if there are any issues with our sites with Internet Explorer 8.0 (NOT in beta anymore) and when I try to login through Community it logs me in, and I see my choices after I'm logged in. But no matter where I try to go (forums, Links sql profile information), Im not logged in anymore. It's like the login doesn't stick when using Internet Explorer 8.0

However in Firefox it works perfectly fine. And while I'd love to tell everybody to use Firefox to use our site, we all know that Internet Explorer still has the vast marketshare.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: [Westin] Internet Explorer 8 doesn't stay logged into community. In reply to
Nevermind.

For anybody else that has this problem, I thought to leave my post instead of deleting it.

The reason that nobody could login to our community.cgi was because we own two domains, (mydomain.com and mydomains.com <Notice one is plural with the s on the end, *we do NOT really own these exact domain names for those that are interested.)

So the problem was that I was pointing my Internet explorer to the plural version of our domain, which on our web host automatically forwards to the singular version of our domain name. However they do something funky and the browser must think that it's really at the plural version of our domain name. So if you have site(s) and a host that offers this forwarding of one domain name to another, and can't stay logged in, then this is likely your problem. Redirect people to the real domain and all should be well.

How did I find this out? I added our real domain name to my browsers trusted sites list, however when I went to the site, it wasn't coming up as a trusted site, so it got me thinking why on the green earth wouldn't it come up as a trusted site when it's on the list. Well sure enough because the site I was really at was the plural version of the domain name being forwarded through our webhost.