Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Gossamer Community :

Community Concept

Quote Reply
Community Concept
Hi,

A lot of people are posting feature requests and ideas for Gossamer Community. I thought I'd try and summarize in one post the concept of Gossamer Community, so you can see where we are headed here.

Gossamer Community provides a central user database, and offers signup, login and authentication services to applications. Think of it similar to MS Passport. When you use an application like Windows Messenger, you login through passport, but your messenger screen name and all your settings are controlled through messenger. This is very similar to how Community works.

So don't look for too many more user side features in Community (except for ones related to signup, login or profile), but rather we will be putting out applications that work with Community. The first of which will be a mailing list manager to handle announcements, mass mailings, etc.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Community Concept In reply to
Yes... I've already got a mailing list manager in php (the only php script in my site) for example...
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Thanks for the explanation of the 'Community' concept. I must admit I was a bit confused when I first installed community, but the concept does make sense.

I am also happy that you will release a mailing list manager, because 'mass mailings' was one of the features that I really missed in Community.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
@alex:

A mass-mailing-feature would be quite good!

But please make the selection of users by defined criterias and saving/loading eMail-templates WORK (for it doesn't work anymore in LSQL2.1.1 and 2.1.2!!!! as it was posted in the forums quite a lot and I was in contact for that reason with jack)

Regards,
Manu

Shopping Portal Shop-Netz.de® | Partnerprogramme | Flugreisen & Billigflüge | KESTERMEDIA e.K. | European Affiliate Marketing Forum.
Quote Reply
Quote:
So don't look for too many more user side features in Community (except for ones related to signup, login or profile), but rather we will be putting out applications that work with Community.
0) Sounds similar to a Barby, which costs only $100, but then you spend $2000 for her clothes, makeups, her Ken guy, and other extras Wink Smile Wink Tongue

Well, I know you are creating commercial products, so I can understand you a bit. But also I know how good idea the Community is...
1) Even private messaging system will be an external (and paid?) application for it?

BTW: if each addition application will use separate tables, then the table number will start really increasing...
2) Would not affect that modularized application development direction the database redundancy?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...