Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Password protection on Win95

Quote Reply
Password protection on Win95
Hi there,

I'm running FileMan on Win95 with Apache 1.3.4 and Perl 5.00502, and I'm having a problem with the password protection feature. Normally I wouldn't be bothered with it as I'm only using it on localhost to test stuff, but I'm working on a user registration yoke at the moment and it's beginning to get annoying while I'm debugging.

Fileman is creating the .htaccess and .pass files ok, but when I try and access a directory afterwards I get a 403 denied error.

I seem to recall having seen posts by people somewhere about having problems with server-side authentication on Windows, but I can't find anyting here.

So is this just a Win32 thing? Is there something I have to change?

Also, I remember postings on the board about removing the "leading dot" restriction from FileMan, but I can't find them either. Can anybody point me to them?

Cheers,
adam
Quote Reply
Re: Password protection on Win95 In reply to
I never did get the password protection to work with Windows95 (I use the same setup as you). I haven't tried it without the dots on the .pass and .htaccess files though. I just ended up commenting out the blinking warning that my directory is not password protected since I am the only one with access to it anyway (localhost).

As to the removing of the leading dots restriction, the only thread I could find on it was http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um7/HTML/000040.html but the instructions Alex gave do not match the script I have. My script shows:

Code:
FILE: foreach $file (@ls) {
# Skip the "." entry and ".." if we are at root level.
next FILE if ($file eq '.');
next FILE if (($file eq '..') and ($directory eq "$config{'root_dir'}/"));

I guess just commenting out those two lines should work.
Quote Reply
Hi Adam,

Are you able to password protect a directory without using FileMan? It might be something with the encryption routine on Windows, I'm not sure.

As for the leading dot, Bobsie is talking something else. Look for sub is_valid_file in fileman.cgi:

($file =~ m,^\.,) and return ($file, "no leading '.' in file names.");

comment out the above line.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

I think it's definitely something to do with Win95, but since it's mostly for convenience rather than any kind of security, I never worried about it before. Now the convenience would be a whole lot more... eh... convenient. Smile

Ok, 20 minutes industrious searching later, I have it. AFAIK, this applies to Apache/Win32, I'm not sure about other systems. The passwords aren't encrypted at all, you just create a plain text file, with:

username:password

So alls I gotta do is remove the encryption!

One other thing Alex, about the leading dot. What about the JavaScript routines for ir? Do they relate to file uploads or wha?

Cheers,
adam
Quote Reply
Hmm, so the password isn't encrypted on Windows machines. Thanks for the info!

Your right about the leading ., you'll also need to remove the check from the javascript as well.

Cheers,

Alex