Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Can't locate CGI.pm

Quote Reply
Can't locate CGI.pm
Web is hosted on WinNT server. Host says that cgi.pm isn't supposed to be on the server. What now?
Quote Reply
Re: Can't locate CGI.pm In reply to
Hi Lauren,

Sorry about the late reply!

CGI.pm is a _standard_ perl module. It comes with almost all of Activestate's port of perl that I can remember, as well as the standard distribution of perl. If a web host doesn't support it, then they really don't know what they are doing when it comes to perl. I would recommend a new ISP, or try and convince them otherwise.

FileMan does depend on CGI.pm and making it run without it would be difficult.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Is there a site where CGI.pm can be downloaded? I will attempt to prevail upon them to download it.
Quote Reply
The latest version can be found at:

http://www.perl.com/...I/CGI.pm-2.49.tar.gz

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks! I have downloaded the .tar file and am also going to review the January 20 contribution of Luciano, re: CGI.pm Work-around (if your provider won't install it). I hope that works as my ISP is being a bit stuborn at the moment! As they currently host five of my client webs, I am not anxious to relocate if I don't need to!! Thanks for your help!
Quote Reply
Well.....I d/l'd the .tar file and uploaded the CGI.pm to my web, as per Luciano's instructions. All went fine, but I find that my ISP is on Perl 5.00307, and the version of CGI.pm requires 5.004.

Any suggestions for a site for CGI.pm compatible with Perl 5.00307? I suspect that I will have smoother sailing getting my ISP to add the CGI.pm than to upgrade to 5.004 at the moment!!

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Hi,

You can find older versions at:

http://www.perl.com/...dules/by-module/CGI/

I'm sure version 2.36 works with perl 5.003_07. They don't say in the readme which version of perl, but probably in the actual .tar.gz.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Once again, thanks!!

I will d/l now and let you know if it works! Others may have dinasour ISPs who don't make it a practice to stay current with updates!
Quote Reply
Eureka! CGI.pm 2.36 works wonderfully! Following the tip from Luciano I uploaded it to my CGI-BIN and added one line of code to fileman.cgi as follows:

use lib 'server.com/dir';

This went BEFORE "use CGI qw(:cgi);"

Voila!!!

If my ISP never supports CGI.pm, so what! I will just have to remember to update the CGI.pm is they move to Perl 5.004