Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

Can't edit HTML files: error message "(Not Writeable)"

Quote Reply
Can't edit HTML files: error message "(Not Writeable)"
Very strange problem. We can edit files such as index.html with the online control panel file manager provided by our webhost.

But when we try doing it with Fileman it says: "(Not Writeable)" and we have to save the HTML file with a different name.

The permissions for these files are set to rw- r-- r-- (644).

When I try to change the permissions with Fileman, the Status bar has the following message:
"Can not change mode"

If I change the permissions to 777 with my webhost's file manager, I can edit and save the file with the same name with Fileman.

I also can't delete files or do most of the other features in Fileman. Get an error message in the Status bar such as:
"Can not remove file(s)"

How can I fix these problems please?

Thank you VERY much.

Last edited by:

nazam: Jan 16, 2002, 7:56 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [nazam] Can't edit HTML files: error message "(Not Writeable)" In reply to
sounds like you might be CGIwrap-ped unknowingly. what that does is your webhost puts all you files as owned by your user and group. but the web server has it's own user/group so you can write but you can't overwrite/delete/etc. CGIwrap allows you to run commands as your user so you can write/delete/etc. You might want to check with your host if the server uses CGIwrap.

just a shot in the dark.

Soil
Quote Reply
Re: [Soil] Can't edit HTML files: error message "(Not Writeable)" In reply to
I'm pretty certain the problem is that the owner is determind as 'johnsmith' if FTP in a file or create it via our webhost's online file manager. Gossamer's FileMan doesn't allow us to edit those files. We can edit/resave those with the owner 'nobody' with no problem.

Is there any way of reconfiguring all the files in our account and future ones we FTP in to have the owner 'nobody'?

Or is there any way of allowing Fileman to edit those files?

I'm the only one who uses this account.

Thank you very much for your help. We appreciate you taking the time and trouble to assist us.

Regards,
Nadeem Azam
Nadeem Azam
1Lit.com Inc.
Promote your site for FREE
Quote Reply
exactly, ftp is user "johnsmith" and you're getting killed by the dreaded "nobody" that's what CGIwrap is supposed to solve... try installing fileman2 with by doing this:

1) create a "fileman" folder in your cgi-bin via ftp (so the owner is "johnsmith")

2) copy the install.cgi and other install files to that folder (so the owner of the files is "johnsmith")

3) chmod the install.cgi file and the fileman directory to 755 (if it's not already)

4) run the fileman install via the command:

http://www.MYSERVER.com/.../fileman/install.cgi

5) FileMan Install correctly determined everything except the images path and the root path. I had to put the images path outside of the cgi-bin in order for the images to show. And, of course, you'll want your root path to point to the root of your webserver instead of the fileman directory.

noting that you need to put in your website for MYSERVER and your USERNAME for johnsmith, also, some CGIwrap'ed servers use "cgi-sys" in that command and not "cgi-bin"

When I did this on my CGIwrap'ed server the install went perfect and then I run the fileman from the command:

http://www.MYSERVER.com/.../fileman/fileman.cgi

and I can edit/delete/save/overwrite and not get caught by the dreaded "nobody" user.

g'luck

Soil

btw, I've done this on two different CGIwrap'ed servers with no issues. (3 actual installs)

Last edited by:

Soil: Jan 17, 2002, 4:23 PM
Quote Reply
Thank you for kindly responding, Soil. I appreciate your simple and clearly laid out advice.

I tried following your instructions and re-installing fileman several times...

OK as far as step 4.

Then problems. There is no cgiwrap folder. I can't access the install.cgi script in the method you specify. I can do it the normal way:

http://www.MYSERVER.com/cgi-bin/fileman/install.cgi

At least, I could the first time. Now fileman.cgi just doesn't install, no matter what I specify as the CGI Path or CGI URL. No new fileman.cgi in any directory. Very strange...

I've never had problems installing other scripts before, but this one has got my stumped :(

I don't suppose you could be so kind as to have a look if I emailed you my login could you Soil? I've got a feeling it's something very basic, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to find out what it is...

Thanks once again Cool

Last edited by:

nazam: Jan 17, 2002, 5:28 PM
Quote Reply
All right, I contacted my web host and they told me how to set up set up a scgi-bin folder which seems to do what you were suggesting.

The installation went fine. I did exactly what you said.

Then I tried to access fileman.cgi and...
there is no bottom frame. It is completely blank, so I can't really do much with the Fileman.

Also, there are all kind of javascript errors with the fileman.cgi

If I click on the title of a HTML or GIF file I get the following kind of error message appearing in the middle frame:

scgiwrap: Cannot stat cgi script/binary. Does it exist?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------DOCUMENT_ROOT=/home/junk2/public_html
HTTP_ACCEPT=image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/vnd.ms-excel, application/msword, */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE=en-gb
HTTP_CONNECTION=keep-alive
HTTP_COOKIE=def_sort=name; def_working_dir=%2Fhome%2Fjunk2%2Fpublic_html; def_files_page=all; def_pages_screen=all; readme_position=Y; hidden_file=1; username=whatever; password=z5xZ3YJ1whic
HTTP_HOST=www.mydomain.com
HTTP_REFERER=http://www.mydomain.com/scgi-bin/fileman/fileman.cgi?fdo=cmd_main_display&
HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)
HTTP_VIA=1.0 cache-bas (NetCache NetApp/5.1R2D14)
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR=62.30.188.18
PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
REMOTE_ADDR=62.31.224.1
REMOTE_PORT=49988
SCRIPT_FILENAME=/usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/scgiwrap
SERVER_ADDR=130.94.172.64
SERVER_ADMIN=webmaster@mydomain.com
SERVER_NAME=www.mydomain.com
SERVER_PORT=80
SERVER_SIGNATURE=Apache/1.3.20 Server at www.mydomain.com Port 80

SERVER_SOFTWARE=Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) mod_bwlimited/0.8 PHP/4.0.6 mod_log_bytes/0.3 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6
GATEWAY_INTERFACE=CGI/1.1
SERVER_PROTOCOL=HTTP/1.1
REQUEST_METHOD=GET
QUERY_STRING=cmd_do=cmd_edit&work_path=&c_edit=index.html&
REQUEST_URI=/scgi-bin/fileman/fileman.cgi/index.html?cmd_do=cmd_edit&work_path=&c_edit=index.html&
SCRIPT_NAME=/scgi-bin
PATH_INFO=/fileman/fileman.cgi/index.html
PATH_TRANSLATED=/home/junk2/public_html/fileman/fileman.cgi/index.html

Any idea what's going on please? I'm getting closer... but this is so frustrating!

Thank you :)
Nadeem Azam
1Lit.com Inc.
Quote Reply
i'm not sure but this thread might help you... if it's correct then I suggest putting both your images and private folder outside of the cgi-bin:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=176908

there might also be a problem with your Path but try re-installing putting your private and images folders outside of the cgi-bin first.

g'luck

Soil
Quote Reply

Thank you very much for your response, Soil.
I appreciate it :)

The link to the other posting describes a similar problem. But he could get some functions in Fileman to work and his issue seemed to be slightly different. Hardly anything works in mine :(

Moving the images doesn't help. I did have a problem with images with a previous install, but that just resulted in broken graphics, didn't affect the program.

I'll try moving the Private folder outside the cgi-bin... but I don't think it'll help.

Anybody else have an idea what the issue may be?

Thanks once again Soil :)
Nadeem Azam
1Lit.com Inc.
Quote Reply
sorry it doesn't totally help you, what I'd do now is start a new thread here with that issue since it's different than the one you started with.

g'luck

Soil
Quote Reply
Still problems...

I succesfully installed the previous version 1.x of Fileman and am adept at installing most scripts. However, I have tried to install Fileman 2.x over a dozen times and each time there are different problems.

Various people have kindly helped me in these forums, but every time one problem is resolved, another one crops up.

It's driving me nuts. I have wasted several hours on it in the last few months.

I am using a standard Unix webhost. Like I said, I have never had problems installing any other script.

I was wondering if somebody could be so kind as to help me install it? I would gladly pay them for their time.

Please email na@nazam.com if you are able to help out... it'll probably only take you half an hour, but will stop me pulling my hair out for another three months :)

Thank you in advance...
Nadeem Azam
1Lit.com Inc.