Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Others : Fileman :

500 internal server error

Quote Reply
500 internal server error
Whenever I try to bring up my file manager, by accessing fileman.cgi, I get a 500 error. The readme is a bit confusing as to whether or not you need to run it in a cgi-bin or not, and what the file permissions of the directory the fileman.cgi is in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: 500 internal server error In reply to
First of all...it is a myth that you can only execute CGI scripts via the cgi-bin.

Second...check for the following:

1) Permission of the script is set to 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

2) You have probably configured the configuration file with the correct ABSOLUTE path where your files are located.

3) Make sure that you have uploaded all your files in ASCII-TEXT ONLY mod via FTP.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Um, I hate to correct you, but it's not a myth.
On many web hosts you do need to put scripts in a particular directory, usually called cgi-bin, but I've seen other names, in order for the script to run. This is because many servers are paranoid and don't want to risk being "hacked".
Sorry to be picky
Nick

Quote Reply
Well...I should have been more specific...MOST servers are not directory specific when exectuting CGI scripts! Mad

Thus...the mandate that ALL CGI scripts must run in CGI-BIN directories is a MYTH! Mad

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I have got the same problem too. And I have followed the readme installation instructions, but finally got 500 error when uploading the file, what should I do?

Quote Reply
Tripple check your permissions and that you uploaded all the files in ASCII. I would upload the files again and force an ASCII upload instead of using the auto upload feature. If you have telnet/ssh access run the script from the command line and post the errors here.

Regards
~Charlie

Quote Reply
Check the syntax of your fileman.cgi script:

Code:

perl -c fileman.cgi

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I had the same problem until I removed the <CR>s from the fileman.cgi file...in Linux, try this:

tr -d '\015' < fileman.cgi > newfileman.cgi
mv newfileman.cgi fileman.cgi