Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Permissions?
Ok I have managed to get Links running perfectly from the administrative point of view and my hosts have finally managed to password protect the admin directory. However if I access the site from the web as a normal user would and try to use the script functions:-

Add a site
Search
Email updates
RateIt

or when trying to access a link, I get the following error messages:

Error including libraries: Can't locate e:/XXXXXXX/cgi-bin/links/admin/db_utils.pl in @INC (@INC contains: e:\XXXXXXX\cgi-bin\links c:/perl/lib c:/perl/site/lib .) at e:\find-a-freebie\cgi-bin\links\rate.cgi line 31.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

All the messages are similar although they refer to different cgi files, the common theme is that they can't find db_utils.pl

Is it permissions or have I made a silly mistake somewhere!

As always many thanks in advance.
Paul

Struggling! But getting there (I think?)
Quote Reply
Re: Permissions? In reply to
You have improperly configured the $db_script_path variable in your links.cfg file.

IT should include both the DRIVE LETTER and path to where your links.cfg file is located.

Like the following:

Code:

$db_script_path = "C:/InetPub/wwwroot/account/cgi-bin/links/admin";

The error you have confronted has been discussed quite a few times in this forum and also in other support forums in this site.

Search for Windows 2000 and you may find relevant Threads with information to help you.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi Elliot

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, yet again! (I am grateful). I did however search the forums and found this 'common fault', however I have checked and double checked the $db_script_path variable in links.cfg file and it appears correct to me:-

e:/localhost/cgi-bin/links/admin

and like I said everything from the administration side is OK. I shall try the search you suggested but if you have any other ideas they would be appreciated.

regards
Paul

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
e:/localhost/cgi-bin/links/admin
That is NOT correct...you are missing directories where the /cgi-bin/links/admin is located. What you have there is a mixture of ABSOLUTE and RELATIVE path information. Trust me, the $db_script_path is NOT configured properly!

CONTACT your hosting company for ACCURATE information about your ABSOLUTE path to your ACCOUNT.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi Elliot

I contacted my hosting company as you suggested and here is there reply:-

Hi Paul,

That is definately the correct path to that directory for pearl. the actual NT path is the same but with \ instead of /.

Richard

Now I have tried it with the back slash but that prevents the script from running at all, so I really am at a loss. As I said all of the functions from the admin point of view run correctly I can add, delete, validate etc, etc, but nobody can actually use the site! The actual path I have in links.cfg is:-

E:/xxxxxxx/cgi-bin/links/admin

Has my hosting company got it wrong or could there possibly be another problem. I have posted my links.cfg and the links directory .cgi files as text files at:

www.xxxxxxx.com

/linkscfg.txt
/addcgi.txt
/jumpcgi.txt
/searchcgi.txt
/subscibecgi.txt
/admincgi.txt

in the hopes that someone enlightened may be willing to take a look (please Elliot!) and either confirm I have configured them correctly or in-correctly it really would be appreciated (I used to have a full head of hair, but I've now pulled most of it out!!).

thanks in advance as always
regards
Paul

Quote Reply
They are WRONG... YOU NEED TO HAVE SOMETHING OTHER than localhost. I highly doubt that is the name of the main folder under the DRIVE where your account is physically located.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi Elliot

Your right of course, I obviously didn't make it very clear, local host is actually replaced with find-a-freebie i.e. the actual path is:-

E:/xxxxxx/cgi-bin/links/admin

My host assures me it is the physical path, any other ideas or is he still wrong? I'm sorry about this but I really don't have the knowledge to question him.

many thanks one again!
Paul

Quote Reply
Well I moved all of the files etc out of the so called password protected directory and guess what the script runs perfectly!! I shall certainly be speaking to my host's in the morning!
Problem is I am back to square one with regard to the password saga so I'm off on a search!

Elliot thanks for your time it really was appreciated.
regards
Paul

Quote Reply
One of the most frequent mistakes on NT and IIS is that the file permissions on NT are not correct even if the webserver is right. IIs will compare NT and IIS permissions and use the most restrictive setting. Have the hosting company check to see if the file permissions are correct. If they are not using NT, ignore this post.