Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

NT - any pointers out there for newbies?

Quote Reply
NT - any pointers out there for newbies?
Hi, I've been using links on Unix for quite some time now, and have been asked to set up Links at work. Unfortunately they run NT, not Unix. Any resources on the 'net that would give me a few basic pointers on how NT differs from Unix (I've never used NT)?

I'm particularly interested in
--how to set up password protection
--permissions
--anything else which is going to affect the way I install the script. (e.g. paths are written differently aren't they? etc. etc.)

Thanks,

Anna

Quote Reply
Re: NT - any pointers out there for newbies? In reply to
In terms of data processing, I would recommend using the ASP Version of Links, which is linked in a few Threads in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum. CGI/Perl eats virtual memory in NT servers.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Wait a minute ..... where is there an ASP version. That would probably solve my problem :)

Quote Reply
Uh...re-read my reply! I already told people in this Thread that the ASP version of Links is linked in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum..search it!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I've seen that one ... its one freeasp. But it's not complete. While the ASP part did load and I can see the admin page, nothing else works.

I'd like to see GossThreads develop that software into a full working version.

Quote Reply
Gossamer Threads specializes in PERL/CGI scripts, not other applications or scripts...Wink

There is another ASP version discussed in that forum I mentioned already.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Yes they do, and they do a very good job at it. BUT

some of us that love the software have been sucked into the great Microsoft black hole. I've read my read me it seems a hundred times. It said that links has been tested on NT and works. I just wish NT was as easy as UNIX. Or at least Goss would include a NT version of install instructions.