Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

Finally, the answer to Links on Win2k & IIS

Quote Reply
Finally, the answer to Links on Win2k & IIS
Hi gang,

I have the answer. If you prefer hosting your web on the Windows platform, then simply use ASP or PHP scripts instead of Per! Duh. If you can or would rather host on *nix platforms, then Links (perl) is the way to go.

Why peeps keep trying to make any and all perl scripts work under all the different Win setups I'll never understand.

If Links is offered in php version, then that would be great, if not, then I sugest you use phpBB under all Windows Platforms.
Quote Reply
Re: [sburrow] Finally, the answer to Links on Win2k & IIS In reply to
In Reply To:
If Links is offered in php version, then that would be great, if not, then I sugest you use phpBB under all Windows Platforms.
Links 2 is a program to allow you to run a hierarchical links directory, and phpBB is a threaded forum/bulletin board script, so one cannot replace the other.

And the reason people try to make Perl programs run on Windoze platforms is that Perl is better suited to certain tasks than the alternatives and the Perl dev team don't keep changing its standard behaviour when they bring out a new release of the language (unlike the PHP developers).
Quote Reply
Re: [sburrow] Finally, the answer to Links on Win2k & IIS In reply to
You can also change the extensions of pages that are built to be PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion (CFM), whatever...of course, the CGI scripts are more trickier to port to other apps and languages....
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me