Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

2.0 won't work on NT ?

Quote Reply
2.0 won't work on NT ?
hello

can anyone tell me what do to now...

HTTP/1.0 500 Server Error (/cgi-bin/links/admin/admin.cgi is not a valid Windows NT application. )

i could not find anything in links.cgi or admin.cgi to select unix or nt so i assume it works for both of them. however i can't get it to run on the NT. im using 2.0

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: 2.0 won't work on NT ? In reply to
Links 2.0 will run on either NT or Unix with minor modifications.

The biggest difference is going to be your path to Perl. (Probably C:/Perl/bin/perl.exe -- it just so happens to be D:/Perl/bin/perl.exe for me since all of my NT apps are on the D:/ drive). Make sure that your path to Perl is correct. Also make sure that you've mapped your .cgi files to be executed correctly by IIS. There is a post earlier in this forum that will explain that.

I tried to check your site (assuming this is the same one from your other post), but your HTTP daemon wasn't running.
Quote Reply
I find the biggest problems people have is not having the web server set up to run perl cgi scripts. Read this great FAQ which has step by step instructions for most windows webservers:

http://www.activestate.com/...2/perlwin32faq6.html

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Also, to my knowledge the only NT server that cares about the first line of a perl script is Apache. If you are not running under Apache for NT, it doesn't matter what your script has for the first line, it's all done through associations.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Some NT hosts don't recognize the .cgi extension. You may have to change the file names (and do a search for all .cgi in the scripts) to .pl.

Quote Reply
Ok, I have added *.cgi to IIS 4 as a scriptable extention... now the question of the day is...
Is is better to map *.pl and or *.cgi to perlis.dll (ISAPI) or to perl.exe?

I have *.plx mapped to perlis.dll and both *.pl and *.cgi mapped to perl.exe, but wondered if I would get better performace mapping to the ISAPI DLL....