Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Windows :

%1 is not a valid Win32 application

Quote Reply
%1 is not a valid Win32 application
I am getting the above error when I try to hit the jump.cgi script. I just moved my website from a Linux Apache server to a Windows 2000 server. Perl 5 is installed, and I believe I am referencing the correct location for it (D:\bin\perl). If anyone can help me with this error, please let me know.

Quote Reply
Re: %1 is not a valid Win32 application In reply to
Not sure about the error you're getting. Sounds like the permissions are screwed up. You (the user) can't change permissions on a WinNT system. The SysAdmin has to do this.

Secondly, make sure you are running your Links program inside a cgi-bin, if one was provided to you by your hosting service. This is the mistake we just made. It didn't make any difference at our old host.

We've run Links on two different WinNT systems. Perl/CGI is accessed differently on WinNT servers than with *nux servers. You don't need a path to the Perl interpreter with WinNT. Just 'comment out' the path when running CGI's on WinNT. When a CGI/PL file is called, WinNT automatically loads the Perl. No path is necessary.

-------------------------
Snap Head's Homepage
http://www.lenon.com
Quote Reply
Thanks for the tip - you helped me solve the problem! Actually, I am the SysAdmin for my server - I colocate, so I own and manage my own Win2k server. The problem was that the server (IIS) was set up to automatically use the perl interpreter for any file with the .pl extension, but not for files with the .cgi extension. Once I commented out the path to Perl, and configured by server to use perl.exe to interpret any .cgi file (which is safe to do because it so happens that Perl is the only cgi language I'm using currently), everythig started working! Thanks again,

Mike

Quote Reply
Heh! Perl is an odd bird, no? It always amazes me how easy it is to fix most CGI/Perl problems. The down side is, it's often too easy to cause them.

Glad to hear you solved yours.

-------------------------
Lenon.com Links 2.0 Page
http://www.lenon.com