Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

weird prob when site was moved

Quote Reply
weird prob when site was moved
Hope someone can help. Ive seen some posts that describe some of the things that are happening. My site was moved from a unix solaris to a lynux appache with cgi-wrap. All libraries and paths have been checked.

1. Builds ok.
2. checks catagories from admin ok.
3. when add or modify or delete in admin, loads the main page in the main page...frames and all.
4. no error codes in server log or in my cgi script pages displayed.
5. when using add or modify ect...from user cgis in the browser, when submit is hit......loads the add page again..
6. my links.db file in data....keeps changing to wr-r-r
none of the other db files change. this happens if there is any activity whith the scripts.

Looking pretty grim here in lala land.

thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: [rave] weird prob when site was moved In reply to
This is normal. If you want you can add a line like;

chmod 0666, $db_links_name;

in nph-build.cgi (just after the links.db file is closed)

Hope that helps

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] weird prob when site was moved In reply to
Thanx Andy,
You guys have helped me learn alot about perl and cgis over the past year.
Your mod worked great. that prob is done.
But unfortunately, All the others are still there.
Ive tried to hard code all the reffs to the libraries and rechecked all permissions. Nothing seems to work. Ive hard coded all the paths in my add.cgi and modify cgi also. Everything still just refreshes when you hit the submit button.
Admin - add and modify also. It builds great though.
The catagory check also works in admin...straaaaaaaaange things going on here. it still seems to be a permission prob to me.

any thoughts?..anyone?

thanx again,
rave
(crashing and burning)Crazy

Last edited by:

rave: Dec 15, 2001, 4:02 PM
Quote Reply
MadUdate,
I saw a thread about hidden .htaccess files...and it occurred to me that I also could have them in my site. I did. I deleted them..they were empty anyway...but it had no bearing on any of my problems...I think it would be a good general post for the mods section as a warning when moving sites. Make sure the dag gone .htaccess files are deleted!! Anyway...back to trying to solve this frustrating problem...

Rave
Quote Reply
Could you post your links.cfg files contents here so we can have a look at it? I cant seem to put my finger on why it wont work.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Argh...just had an idea. How have you coded your <form> tags in the add.html, modify.html and search.html. Just post the <form> ... </form> parts. It could be you have the form boxes named incorrecty, so the script is not recognising it. Otherwise i have to say im a bit stumped Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
hi andy,

thanx for your thoughts...

heres my form area of the add.html.

looks ok to me...butCrazy ?

I'll get you a copy of my links cfg. Yepers, this is not nice!

Rave

<TD WIDTH="100%" VALIGN=TOP>
<FORM ACTION="<%db_cgi_url%>/add.cgi" METHOD="POST">
<P ALIGN=CENTER>
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Sans-Serif"><FONT SIZE="1"><FONT COLOR="BLUE"><B>Please
fill out the form completely, and we'll add your resource as soon as possible.</B></FONT></FONT></FONT></P>
<DIV ALIGN=LEFT>
<P ALIGN=LEFT>
<TABLE CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0" BORDER="0">
<TR>
<TD WIDTH="110" VALIGN=TOP>
<P ALIGN=RIGHT>
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Sans-Serif"><FONT SIZE="1"><FONT COLOR="BLUE"><B>Title:</B></FONT></FONT></FONT></TD>
<TD VALIGN=CENTER>
<P>
<INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="Title" SIZE="40" MAXLENGTH="40"></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<P ALIGN=RIGHT>
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Sans-Serif"><FONT SIZE="1"><FONT COLOR="BLUE"><B>URL:</B></FONT></FONT></FONT></TD>
<TD VALIGN=CENTER>
<P>
<INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="URL" SIZE="40" MAXLENGTH="40"></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<P ALIGN=RIGHT>
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Sans-Serif"><FONT SIZE="1"><FONT COLOR="BLUE"><B>Category:</B></FONT></FONT></FONT></TD>
<TD VALIGN=CENTER>
<P>
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Sans-Serif"><FONT SIZE="1"><%Category%></FONT></FONT></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<P ALIGN=RIGHT>
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Sans-Serif"><FONT SIZE="1"><FONT COLOR="BLUE"><B>Description:</B></FONT></FONT></FONT></TD>
<TD VALIGN=CENTER>
<P>
<TEXTAREA NAME="Description" SIZE="40" COLS="40" ROWS="3" WRAP="virtual" VALUE=""></TEXTAREA></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<P ALIGN=RIGHT>
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Sans-Serif"><FONT SIZE="1"><FONT COLOR="BLUE"><B>Name:</B></FONT></FONT></FONT></TD>
<TD VALIGN=CENTER>
<P>
<INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="Contact Name" SIZE="40" MAXLENGTH="40"></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<P ALIGN=RIGHT>
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Sans-Serif"><FONT SIZE="1"><FONT COLOR="BLUE"><B>Email:</B></FONT></FONT></FONT></TD>
<TD VALIGN=CENTER>
<P>
<INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="Contact Email" SIZE="40" MAXLENGTH="40"></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD WIDTH="110" VALIGN=CENTER></TD>
<TD VALIGN=CENTER>
<P>
<INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT NAME="Submit" VALUE="Add Site"></TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</FORM></TD>
Quote Reply
I'm a bit stumped here im afraid. Try changing;

<FORM ACTION="<%db_cgi_url%>/add.cgi" METHOD="POST">

to

<FORM ACTION="add.cgi" METHOD="GET">

There is no real reason for the tag there, as add.cgi will be getting called in the same directory as where it is running already Wink

Well, hope that helps, cos otherwise imafraid im out of ideas. Sorry.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

I really appreciate all that you tried.

I found several problems....and the one that fixed my original problem.

1. Your mod to change the permission of the ever changing links.db. Worked great!

2. My new apache site is configured to use www in my http://mysite.com. for the url paths! Go figure! Thanks for my server telling me....NOT!!!

3. The thread about .htaccess files transfered over during the move. Need to find those and delete them. Tells you how in the threads here!

4. In my Links.cfg file....theres that beautiful line about which servers are able to run scripts. On my old unix site (same ISP)...it did not matter if I left it blank.....This apache requires that it is filled in!!! (This IS The One That Caused All My Probs This Time!!!)

5. Even though the server posts the paths for the required items..eg. mail, perl ect. At the beginning ...I used them and NOTHING worked. Always confirm with the server if they are correct for your application!!!!

6. I see alot of posts about permission problems.... After checking all the above.....you need to ask them if on your site...you need to use only 755 permissions for folders and cgi files...On my cgi wrapped apache, running on Lynux.....it ALL needs to be no more than 755! NEVER 777!!! This eliminated those dag gone premature header script ending errors I was receiving.

7. Using chopped paths is great for time saving...eg. / cgi-bin/links/admin/admin.cgi...... but some servers are configured to only use FULL paths for the required library settings for the "User" CGI Files located in other directories!!!

The most important thing I can pass on to others in trouble is....

DO NOT rely on what is posted by your server for paths to the critical functions....They are always updating and changing their set ups...and NOT updating the faqs and information.!!!!!!

Always confirm the basics (perl paths, mail paths, permissions) with your server, BEFORE looking into script problems here in the Forums.!!!

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Back in the Saddle Again!!

RaveSly

Last edited by:

rave: Dec 17, 2001, 6:00 AM
Quote Reply
Yes I am having this problem.
Please direct me to this line that you talk about:

4. In my Links.cfg file....theres that beautiful line about which servers are
able to run scripts. On my old unix site (same ISP)...it did not matter if I left
it blank.....This apache requires that it is filled in!!! (This IS The One That
Caused All My Probs This Time!!!)

I think this may be causing some of my problems as my cgi-bin is not located in the main area for the cgi-bin. It is in the users/cgi-bin dir.

Thanks in advance
TammyUnsure

PS: also, maybe this needs to be changed to 0755 ??

# Directory Permissions. Do NOT put quotes around it. Set to 0777
# for world writeable. If you put this at 0755, you might need a
# script to remove any directories created as they will be owned
# by the web server or user nobody. Better solution might be to
# run the nph-build routine from the command shell.
$build_dir_per = 0777;

any comments??

Last edited by:

RipandRev: Jan 1, 2002, 8:41 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [RipandRev] weird prob when site was moved In reply to
The permission of the folders where pages are built should be set to 0777 (777).

The problem is that you are probably using a cgi-wrapper with your "cgi-bin" outside of your root folder.

If you use the absolute/physical path where your files are built (like New/Cool/Ratings/, etc.) in the *_path variables (like $build_root_path, then you should not have any problems. Same thing with the *_url variables, using the correct virual path where your files are located,

Example:

$db_cgi_url = "http://www.yourdomain.com/cgibin";

Don't mix the relative and physical paths in your variable configurations in the links.cfg file.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me