Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
url.db
I installed the script and everything is running perfectly. I've installed the script about a million times and well, this is the first time I've had a problem. :p

I added all my categories, subcategories and then tried adding a link. It added... but it did not add the link ID and URL in the url.db file. I found that out after trying to click on the link and instead of zooming off to the page it would try to open up jump.cgi and it displayed the error: Can't find link id: 1

Any ideas on what is causing this problem? The file is chmod 666 so should be able to write up the new info when I build the info.. so I'm left clueless. Any help would be appreciated! :)

gloom
Blush
Quote Reply
Re: url.db In reply to
Uh yea...build your directory...The url.db file is created when you execute the nph-build.cgi script.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
I've done that. The way I found out that it wasn't writing to the url.db file was when I went to my site and clicked on the new link it failed.

I tried again anyway and now it is giving me a permission denied error for nph-build.cgi. :(

Error Message: Unable to copy links backup.
Reason: Permission denied

Is that what is causing the problem? and how do I fix that? I tried redoing the permission settings on the file, but that didn't help.

I haven't changed anything within the script, same zip I always use to create a database on my sites. The only difference is I am installing it on a new server (all my paths, etc. are set up correctly.. I've tripled checked). Like I said before, first time I've had a problem.. hehe and I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to this stuff so I'm stuck. Thanks for your help!

gloom
Blush
Quote Reply
As discussed quite a bit in this forum...you need to set your backup directory to 777...I would highly recommend reading the README file that contains a list of directory and file permissions or read the FAQ posted in the Links section in the Resource Center.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Strange... I had set the permissions correctly the first time and you're right that directory wasn't set correctly when I checked just now. *darn new host* hehe, j/k

I changed the permissions, and now I'm getting a different error.

unable to open temp links database
Reason: Permission denied

It says the file name is links.db.bak but there is no such file. :( I don't know what is going on now.. hehe, clear one error up and a new one appears. It is probably the heat melting my brain :p

I always read the readme file and look for the answers before coming to message boards... I even searched the message board before digging up the courage to post my problem and found one similar issue like mine but it was all written in french.

Thank you again... :)

gloom
Blush
Quote Reply
Welp...this has also been discussed before...you need to have a blank file called links.db.bak that should've came with the .zip file in your data directory. This file needs to be set to 666 - (rw-rw-rw-).

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks! Everything is working now.

Boy I feel like a dip, I didn't know those things had been discussed before. If so, I didn't get to them... super slow motion connection here so its hard to even get a page to open, let alone search through tons of posts.

gloom
Blush
Quote Reply
Guess what...there are FAQs in the Resource Center that address the issues you have posed in this Thread! Click on the Resources link at the top of the forum web pages, then click on Links, then low and behold...there is a FAQ section...WOW! Tongue

Regards,

Eliot Lee