Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
ownership
Heres a good one for you. Everything has been going well with Links2. Until two weeks ago. The server had a prob with storms in the area, they said. After that, My ownership has changed on the index files in my database. From Nobody to www. I deleted all my files, and everything is back to normal. Until Last friday. Now its the same thing. Index files are back to www. Im getting those pesky permission denide messages. I saw a post from Paul wilson, back on May 8th. He said to have links 2 set the permissions for you. He gave a hint on what code should look like. He didn't mention what file to put it in, or where.

Does anyone know about this procedure?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Yes, All permissions on directories have been verified.
I only use the web to add.
I do not use telnet.
I use ftpwsle
Server Info: Apache/1.3.19 (Unix)

Everything was working great. The server did mods, now all index are www for users.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: ownership In reply to
What do you mean by???

In Reply To:
He gave a hint on what code should look like. He didn't mention what file to put it in, or where.
Maybe a link to the post where it was being discussed to help us know what he was refering to?

Andy

webmaster@ace-installer.com
http://www.ace-installer.com
Quote Reply
Hi,

I think the post you are referring to was for a RAQ server with FrontPage extensions which is a slightly different scenario.

Have you tried building from telnet so see if thst helps?

You can double check the chmodding by executing this from telnet.....

chmod -R 777 /path/to/pages

Mods:http://wiredon.net/gt/download.shtml
Installations:http://wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
Thanks for your reply guys.

Yes it was in reference to the frontpage issue.

The concept was interesting. Ive seen alot of posts about permissions and ownerships changing on people.
I know that links developes the directories, and applies a 777 permission with Nobody as user.
Is it possible to incorperate the same thing when developing the pages for the index files?
that way, links would reconfirm the permissions and users each time it made or updated the pages/ Directories.

It seems this would solve alot of the user/ server "accidental" changing of these Items.

I was going to use telnet, but ive seen ALOT of posts about NOT using telnet, as it can cause problems.
The threads ive seen always say to just use the browser to build. Is this true?

My server still has no idea what they are doing that causes the users to change. They are currently
trying to correct it for the future.

Again, thanks for you interest and replies,

Dave

Quote Reply
Well, here we go again,
Its telling me that nasty permission denide again. Everything was deleted, then rebuilt with no problems.
Everything was working two days ago. I came back the next day to work on it, and got the error code about permissions denide to the index.html pages. Nothing was done by me to the site during the time it decided to deny permissions. I checked all the permissions again. They are correct. The users are still nobody, as they should be. Everything looks as it should. BUT, those nasty denides during building. Staggard or just build. The same thing.

What is happening to my site while i'm away from it for one day?

The server still has no explanations.

I dont have telnet to try your suggestions to check my permissions and users.
BUT, the server confirmed that they were seeing everything was.

What gives?

Help!

David

Quote Reply
Hello,

Im back again with an update.
Ive been leaving links alone for a week now, deleteing an index and rebuilding to see what happens.
Before, links was building indexes with user nobody.
Now, its building them with www as user, and everything is working, ie: Building the deleted indexes.

Why is it now building pages with www as user?
And it likes it!

I dont want to continue building my links and cats till this prob is concluded.
Its a pain to keep deleting everything!

Any suggestions to whats goingon?
Any suggestions how to keep from deleting everything every week?

Thanks for any replies,

Dave

Quote Reply
It's your server staff, they don't know what they're doing probably. Like me :-D I have a dev box and my friend said that my apache is setup weird :-) Oh well, it works for me.

I'm pretty positive that it's not Links that is screwing with you. I've had very little actual code problems vs server issues.

good luck

on the pages in between ...