Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

main index.html file not properly created

Quote Reply
main index.html file not properly created
Just tried my first few categories, and then Build All. My build seems to go ok, but when I go to the index.html file it created, there is only one thing in the file: " Unknown Tag: site_header " That's all it says. Looks like it couldn't interpret something in the html files, but have no idea where to start looking. I've searched the forums to no avail. Anyone???

Quote Reply
Re: main index.html file not properly created In reply to
If you installed the Header and Footer codes located at:

http://anthrotech.com/...ks/faqs/insertfiles/

Then you neglected to define the site_header tag as a GLOBAL tag in the %globals hash, like the following:

Code:

site_header => &site_header

Then the tag will work.

BTW: Since this deals with a code hack that you found in the Resource Center or forums, you should post this type of question in the Links Customization Forum.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Well, thanks Eliot, but this isn't a hack, and I have no idea what this header/footer thing is. I just did the standard installation of the basic program, no funny business. :)

Could there be something wrong with the templates, or their permissions, or something about unix being case-sensitive? These are all that I can think of, but dont' really know where to start troubleshooting.

Hope that clarifies....
Marci :)

Quote Reply
OK, so I lied. No, not really. But it was a hack. I just didn't know it!!! :\ So sorry.

Just in case some other yahoo does what I did, I'll explain it here so s/he can fix it before embarrasing themselves as I have done. :) :) :)

I had installed this same script for a client back in March, an at that time I DID hack the files to include the site_header tag. BUT I made the mistake of doing this to my local files then uploaded them (instead of uploading then correcting the files on the server). So when I went to reused the files for this installation, all the hacks were there...but I'd forgotten I what I'd done. It was Eliot's post about the hack that sent me searching for clues, and after several hours I saw something that made me realize what I'd done. <sigh>

The fix? Re-unzip the original file into a new directory on my local drive, COPY OVER the links.cfg, links.db, and any other files that you've modified or you'll have to recreate all categories, links, etc. Upload as per the Readme file and re-set permissions, etc. <phew!>

So, there it is. I'll go hide under my rock now..... :)

Quote Reply
Well...glad you figured it out...

And thanks for the vote of confidence...or should I say lack of confidence...Wink

I was only trying to help you.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Oh, Eliot...you DID help!! I hope I didn't offend. :)

If it hadn't been for you *thinking* I'd used the modification, I never would have figured it out! That's what sent me searching for clues to my blunder. And your thought was of course correct...after all, you already knew there is no site_header tag in the original program, so where else would it have come from!! No, you really helped a lot. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

This is a great forum, so much helpful info here.....I have gotten most of my questions answered by reading your responses to other people before posting myself.....except when I get into a really sticky thing like this...lol!!

Thanks again,

Marci :)

Quote Reply
Offense initially taken after reading your earlier Reply...but now there is no offense taken.

Thanks for explaining your early Reply.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee