Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
giving up
okay.......I know I am not that stupid. I have installed other cgi scripts and had no problems like this script. No offense but I am completely giving up on installing this script. It seems others have problems too. The README file I have practically memorized and YES my paths are set correctly and YES I have LWP and still no avail. I have moved around the files and directories......tried this and tried that and still NO success. I would of have considered buying this but it is way tooooooooo many problems. Sorry......but it's true.

Quote Reply
Re: giving up In reply to
We have tried to help you...I have provided suggestions in three of your duplicate Threads!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I nearly gave up on this - but I got it working in the end I am very pleased with it.

The two things that really got it going was a script called tester.cgi which gave me the correct paths to put in the links.cfg

& then ACE FTP which finally uploaded my files in ascii. I couldnt believe this because I was pulling my hair out & had used three ftp programs - and I just couldnt get it going - even though they were all explicitly set to use ascii. As soon as i used aceFTP it all worked.

Personally I think this is a difficult script to install when everythings new. I am a computer professional and I was pulling my hair out. I really dont understand why a clear set of instructions havent been written. I mean - if the scripters in this forum enjoy teaching people - & it must be said that I have learnt a lot & Im kind of glad that someone didnt just give it to me all working - then its fine - but they should understand that although its easy for them its very difficult for newbies like me & you.

If the experienced people have had enough of teaching people & dont enjoy it anymore then they should write a very very clear set of instructions - step by step.

Simon

Quote Reply
I too can say I became very frustrated with this script, not to mention the sad support that 'Eliot' gives. Yes, you give support, however when someone spends an hour searching the threads for an answer, and their only recourse is to post their question. Your constant replies of..."I've already answered this question.." is of no use, and is better off left unsaid. I believe I am not alone in this belief.

After several hours of re-re-re-reading the ReadMe file, checking all paths, and chmoding everything in various forms, it finally did work.
It is a great script, however the included ReadMe file is entirely too vague, non-specific, and for the most part confusing.

I've installed major cgi-scripts including the Ebay look-alike script and have never had as much trouble as this one.
Thank goodness it's installed and I can now enjoy the fruits of my labor.

If you need assistance with this, please email designteam@webarrange.com

I will do what I can to assist anyone on a personal level.

Good Day,
ThomW