Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

chmod 777 problem

Quote Reply
chmod 777 problem
Hello,

Here is my NEW delima. I am using a hosts service called concentric. They do not allow for chmod to be used from the FTP. Instead they rqeuire that you use their control panel to set permissions. They only have read and write settings so I called to see what was up with that. They person said that there is not problem that programs will execute so go ahead and install the program. I did, set permissions and mounted them by hand on the control panel and finally got into my admin screen.

Now the pages wont build. I called my host again and they said the the pages should self execute. I believe that not using chmod 777 is my problem. I am really stuck now in that all pl scrips seem to need 777.

My question is this.

Is it possible to build the pages myself by hand (instead of using the build comand in the admin screen) and write the URLs in the links.cgf file or will the 777 problem also cause my added links to not show up.

in otherwords should I scratch the whole thing or is there hope with just read and write???

Laura

Quote Reply
Re: chmod 777 problem In reply to
Try 766 (drwxrw-rw-) rather than 777.

It give EVERYONE read, write permissions that are needed for LINKS, but does not allow the directory to be executable by anyone except the administrator account.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I am not allowed ANY executables. I can not use chmod at all. I can only give read or write permissions and I have to do that through a control panel not FTP. The host company says that it should "self" execute. And that it should work.

I am currently looking for a different host company that will allow 7 permissions. Any suggestions? I am really digusted with the company.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I can only give read or write permissions and I have to do that through a control panel not FTP.
Well...then you should be able to give executable writes to the administrator AND if in order for your .cgi and .pl scripts to run, they MUST be set to 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

And if you cannot do this, guess what...cgi and perl scripts, including LINKS, are NOT for you.

Check with your hosting company's online documentation about custom cgi and perl scripts and what kind of files you CAN put in your account!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks Elliot for all your help.

I got so disgusted that I just ordered a new account at a different company that allows everything for a much cheaper price! I will be back in a few days when the account goes through to try this whole thing again. I guess I will be starting form scratch then. Back to the drawing board.

See you in a few days then.
Laura

Quote Reply
Welp...for anyone going through this same problem...you should REALLY research thoroughly hosting companies before making an investment!

A good site for researching hosting companies is:

http://www.hostglobal.com/

(which, BTW, is powered by LINKS and linked in the Resource Center)

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Yep I agree but this site was chosen by the client and not by me! I had no choice and they are paying big bucks for it. I will put the directory on myown site and link to the client's site. This way I can have complete control over the directory and do with it what I wish. I was simply volunteering to do their site. Ugh!

Laura

Quote Reply
Well...you should really do your best to educate and convince your client about the advantages and disadvantages of differenting hosting options and companies before plugging away at a project.

Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee