Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
cgi error
When I click the build all, I got the following message.

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : unable to open what's new page: /home/slavophi/public_html/New/index.html. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /home/slavophi/public_html/cgi-bin/links/adm/nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00503

In addition, when I tried to execute chmod 666 for all *.db under data directory, I got message <chmod: links.db: operation not permitted>.

In order to solve the problem, I did chmod 777 New and chmod 777 *.* under New directory. Then it worked. However, the real problem is that I have to chmod 777 for every directory, e.g., Cool, Ratings, Arts, etc., and all the files and subdirectories in them. Is it really so?

[This message has been edited by andyyoo (edited February 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by andyyoo (edited February 03, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: cgi error In reply to
Since you are building your LINKS off your ROOT directory, you need to upload a blank index.html or index.shtml depending on which extension you choose in the links.cfg file and change the permission of this file to 777.

Another suggestion is change the permission of your ROOT directory to 777, but this is not recommended, as it poses some security problems (having the ROOT be writable and executable by the general public is not wise).

Then you won't have any problems.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------