Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

can't establish a connection to the server at localhost

Quote Reply
can't establish a connection to the server at localhost
Hi

I used to run links 2 on a site many years ago. I closed the site but now want to reinstate it. I have uploaded links 2.01 to a server, installed it, etc and believe I have everything set up correctly but I am getting the above error when I go to admin.cgi
I can't remember if the connection is on a specific port that I need to allow through my firewall? The web server is up and running...
thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: [djmokoia] can't establish a connection to the server at localhost In reply to
Is this on a proper server/shared hosting, or just one you are running on a static IP?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] can't establish a connection to the server at localhost In reply to
I suspect I am on shared hosting. I'm not hosting it myself and for the price I've paid for the hosting I doubt I've got a dedicated server...
When I change localhost to the url of the site I get 500 errors (or at least the web hosts friendly page instead)
Quote Reply
Re: [djmokoia] can't establish a connection to the server at localhost In reply to
Mmm... what page are you trying?

After the "sheband" (i.e #!/usr/bin/perl), add:

Code:
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);

Then save, and run the file from the web - does it give any more helpful information?

If its a proper web-company, then I **VERY** much doubt they have any kind of firewall that would stop a simple script like Links2 from working =) My guess, is you have the paths wrong somewhere - which hopefully this change will show.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
sorry, not their firewall, mine. I was curious if the connection to admin.cgi is on a non-standard port that my firewall may be blocking but I don't think that is the case now.

I have added that code snippet but I'm still getting the 500 page (albeit with the admin.cgi frameset). Going to try changing back to localhost again
Quote Reply
Hi,

Are you on a UNIX or NT?

Could just be the path to perl :

Try:

#!/usr/bin/perl
..or:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

Those are the 2 generalk formats on UNIX servers - NT servers normally differ.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
it's unix and I've had the path confirmed as /usr/bin/perl
unfortunately I don't have access to the server error logs but I've been told by the hosting companies support that the only error in the log file is File does not exist: /home/grantanet/public_html/cgi-bin/links/admin/offlinesmall.gif

can I just confirm that localhost should be changed to the url of the web site in links.cfg ?
Quote Reply
Hi,

Email/PM me FTP details/URL, and I'll take a quick look for you. Should be something simple :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
thanks, I've sent it. Let me know if you need any more info
Quote Reply
Hi,

Simple fix - the /links was missing from the path/ URL - so it was just trying to access it from a file that didn't exist =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
doh! thanks. As I suspected, couldn't see the wood for the trees. Much obliged to you
Tim
Quote Reply
No problem Angelic

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk