Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

admin.cgi wants to dl'd?!

Quote Reply
admin.cgi wants to dl'd?!
OK this is probably a dummy question....

I've uploaded all the files to where they're to live....I confirmed they were sent as ASCII...I set the permissions of the cgi files & directories as required.

When I try & run admin.cgi, I get the file download dialog...?!!?

What did the dummy overlook? TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: admin.cgi wants to dl'd?! In reply to
As has been discussed MANY times before in this forum....you need to check for the following:

1) The Perl path in the first line of the admin.cgi script.

2) The Absolute path to the links.cfg file in the require line is CORRECT (remember ABSOLUTE not RELATIVE path).

3) Make sure that you have the CORRECT ABSOLUTE PATH to your directory where your links.cfg file and other data files are located in the $db_script_path variable in the links.cfg file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
Thanks for the quick reply/help....

3) Make sure that you have the CORRECT ABSOLUTE PATH to your directory where your links.cfg file and other data files are located in the $db_script_path variable in the links.cfg file.

I had used the wrong path...negelected a sub-dir....the syst admin. was able to correct this and I still could not make it play.

I had an error about an illegal character in links.def (Carriage Return) on line 18. That was a blank line(??), so I deleted it, uploaded it again (as ASCII). Then I could get the admin.cgi to play. So far so good.

I then went back to links.cfg and edited the sendmail location, uploaded (as ASCII), and now admin does not play due to anoth illegal character ('nother CR)...BUT I can't see an extra CR, or blank line on the line it complains about...?!

I'm sorry if these items have been covered before, but the searches I used did not show any relative posts.....I suspect this too has also been covered, but I couldn't find it.
Quote Reply

Code:
$build_site_title = 'My Site';

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited April 14, 2000).]