Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

admin.cgi permission error

Quote Reply
admin.cgi permission error
I'm entirely new to this cgi/perl business, so I'm chuffed to have gotten as far as uploading the files and setting permissions (it's taken me about a week!). However, I'm currently facing a problem which I can't sort out on my own.

Originally I set the permissions on all the files as directed in the readme file, but after having intital 403 access denied problems and reading a post here about setting all permissions to chmod 777 I did that (but only on my .cgi files). Even now I can't access my admin.cgi file, again with a 403 error.

Any ideas welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply
Re: admin.cgi permission error In reply to
The 403 Error is probably caused by building your pages within the cgi-bin directory. Do the following:

1) Set permissions back to how you orginally had them (based on the README file).

2) Then change the following variables in the links.cfg file:

Code:

$build_root_path = "/absolute/path/to/account/links/pages";
$build_root_url = "http://www.yourdomain.com/links/pages";

Change /absolute/path/to/account/ to your absolute path.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
OK. Just a couple of questions based on this.
Firstly, how do I find out what my absolute path is. I know from the readme file that it "IS NOT YOUR URL", but what it actually is and how I can find out what it is is beyond me.

Secondly, the server on which my webpages are hosted does not have a CGI-Bin which I can access so I have set up a seperate account with a company which provides a CGI-bin. This means that my absolute path and URL of the "build" pages will be entirely different from the pages hosting the links script. Will this affect anything?

Thanks again for your help.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Firstly, how do I find out what my absolute path is.
(Try searching the forums in the future...I have posted instructions for finding the absolute path twice in the past two weeks in the Links 2.0 Forums.) Tongue

Access your account via telnet...

You should see something like the following:

Code:

www21:/absolute/path/to/youraccount#

The bolded codes IS your absolute path.

OR do the following:

1) Read your HOSTING COMPANY's online documentation about custom cgi scripts.

2) Contact your hosting company and ask for EXPLICIT instructions on setting up CGI scripts.

In Reply To:
Secondly, the server on which my webpages are hosted does not have a CGI-Bin which I can access so I have set up a seperate account with a company which provides a CGI-bin. This means that my absolute path and URL of the "build" pages will be entirely different from the pages hosting the links script. Will this affect anything?
Sure will...you cannot have two accounts like you have stated for LINKS...you need to have ALL the cgi scripts and pages in the SAME account.

Got it?

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks again for your help, but I think that I'm going to give this a miss. It's been an enjoyable and often stressful learning experience, and I might well come back to it in the future, but I think that setting up Links will involve too much work with too little results.
Thanks again

Quote Reply
Welp...that is your decision.

Regards,

Eliot Lee