Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Yet Another Damn Build Error :o)

Quote Reply
Yet Another Damn Build Error :o)
Hello!

I get a build error every time I try to build my links database. It was working fine 'till I changed the path of where to build the finished database.

The error I am getting is:
CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : unable to open home page: /home/sweeper/www/index.shtml. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /www/sweeper/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00503

I changed the path and URL of pages to be built in the links.cfg file. It was in a directory called links where I was playing around with it, which I then changed to build in the root directory.

Im only just beginning to learn this stuff, and have no idea where I went wrong Smile

Mandi
Quote Reply
Re: Yet Another Damn Build Error :o) In reply to
Most servers do not let you build in the root directory. They don't allow 777 permissions there.

--mark
Quote Reply
My root directory is /home/sweeper/www/ which does have 777 permissions Smile I checked that just incase.

Mandi
Quote Reply
Yes, but your server may be configured to not allow writing to a file in your root directory - as it requires the root chmod to 0777 and it is a security risk to have the root directory world writable. BTW, is the file chmod to 0666 (rw_rw_rw_)? If so and you cannot build the file, then ask your web host.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply
Your probably right with that, my host seems to have quite a few unexpected limits I've encountered whilst installing Links. Not to worry.

I wanted the links database to be the main page of my site, however I've accepted that I'll just have to have an auto redirect to my database. Hopefully that will be suffice for my visitors too Smile

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate your suggestions and time!

Mandi

[This message has been edited by Sweeper (edited September 20, 1999).]