Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Where is the Step by Step Guide???

Quote Reply
Where is the Step by Step Guide???
(This is a variation of a posting in Discussions:) -

I really need a simple Step by Step Guide or manual for Links 2 that takes me through the whole process in a logical manner - and judging by the other postings this is exactly what just about everyone else needs too.

People don't need more forums or FAQs or links to resources (although of course these are very useful) - they need a simple step by step guide to talk them through the whole process of installing, setting permissions, using templates, building pages etc in simple language that does not assume any prior knowledge.

Instead, what we actually have is a total mess of forums and so-called resources that waste hours of people's time as they search for simple, basic info hidden away inside hundreds of postings.

Just a thought - I know I REALLY need such a guide. Why isn't there one and why are people setting up even more forums and faqs when this is just what people DON'T need?

A lot of you guys really know your stuff and give great advice and answers to posts - can't you get together and write such a guide using your expertise and your experience of these forums?

Alan

Quote Reply
Re: Where is the Step by Step Guide??? In reply to
Mmmm...didn't I just reply to your DUPLICATE thread in the 'Links 2 Discussion' forum asking exactly the ame question? I think I did Frown

Andy

webmaster@ace-installer.com
http://www.ace-installer.com
Quote Reply
Yes you did - and I have replied there. I was getting so frustrated that I thought I'd post in both areas, just this once, to reach more people with this.

Quote Reply
What are you looking for, specificly? If you post a list of questions I'd be glad to compile the answeres into a single document for you.

Code:
s;[\d\$&(\^)];;g+s;\.; ;g+s;(.)(..);$2$1;g+print,if$_='&61k4I.)l678il.edn7(K2e^ny$';
Quote Reply
OK Junko. I have already solved a lot of my initial problems by spending hours searching in these forums and resource pages. My main problem at the moment is getting the links to actually work - see my post about links id error. Then I am going to start tryng to use the templates I have designed and I will no doubt have more problems with that as I'm not yet clear on exactly what I need to insert into my html pages to get Links integrated. Also I am so new to all this that I dont even know how to create a new blank file in data called links.db.bak which I see from other posts could be the reason my links aren't working. I have tried with cuteftp but only get the option of creating a new folder, not a file (I guess this is really basic and makes me sound pretty stupid but I really don't know how to do this and I am wondering why this file didn't come with the download if it is so essential!!!)

Any tips on the above would be very gratefully received...