Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Verifying Links

Quote Reply
Verifying Links
Links is up; everything's working A-okay. (Pretty easy installation for somebody who knows nothing about Perl, by the way. I'm very impressed with your script.)

When verifying links, however, the thing just hangs -- on Quick Check and Detailed. I'm not getting any error messages and received some kind of report when testing this initially (although at the time, it told me none of the links were good -- not even my own, though jump.cgi takes me right to them). It's just that when it tries to connect, it just keeps going and going.

Anybody have this happen before?
Quote Reply
Re: Verifying Links In reply to
That's exactly what mine does. At this point, I'm guessing Alex is pretty well aware of the Verify difficulties that many people are reporting. Maybe we could get an official announcement? Wink Then we could end all the questions and speculations and wait patiently for a fix. Smile

Dan
Quote Reply
Ah! A known bug. Sorry.

How about this:

Everything is being checked as popular that goes into the database. When I attempt to modify the links and unmark as popular, the database files are adjusted accordingly (at least that's what Links is telling me). But when pages are built, it goes right back and marks all those records as popular and they once again appear as popular in the database as well.

Incidentally, as my links directory is brand new, none of the listed sites are getting enough hits to be made popular.
Quote Reply
The popular ratings are based on a percentage of the total number of links in your database. Based on the default, if any of your links have at least 2 hits, then the records will be considered popular until you have a larger number of links and higher number of hits on the links.
Quote Reply
Well, duh.

Thanks, Bobsie, for pointing that out to me! Smile