Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Unable to copy links backup. Reason: Permission denied

Quote Reply
Unable to copy links backup. Reason: Permission denied
Hi,
This is my first time installing links!! So far I managed to get most of the things to work but When I click on the build pages option this is the error message I am getting:
Backing up database . . .
Backing up links, category and email database (File::Copy) ...

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Unable to copy links backup. Reason: Permission denied
Script Location : /path_to/links/cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00404

I understand the problem is to do with the permission but what I don't understand is how to set permission for a DIRECTORY using WS_FTPLE(I have set permission for individual files before). Anyways, I CHMOD 755 for nph-build.cgi file and I also set full path to link.cfg file in the require line of nph-build.cgi file. Still, it gives me the above error!! Can some one please help me!! I really want to setup this awesome program on my dream site.
Quote Reply
Re: Unable to copy links backup. Reason: Permission denied In reply to
Bring up the admin directory in WS_FTP. Click on the backup directory (just a single click to highlight it). The right-click on it and select CHMOD from the drop-down list. When the chmod window opens, make sure there is a checkmark in all checkboxes (that is chmod 777) and click OK. Then go into the data directory and make sure all the files in it, particularly links.db, are all chmod 666 (read, write). Once that is done, try rebuilding the pages again.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Hi Bobsie,
Thanks for your reply. I tried CHMOD backup directory but I didn't succeed with my WS_FTP program. I tried right clikcing on backup directory (single click) and I don't see an option to chmod directory as I do with files!! I did CHMOD 666 for all files in the data directory and it still won't work. Any other suggestion might be helpful!! Thanks a lot.
Kumar
Quote Reply
To chmod a directory (or file) using WS_FTP, you have to highlight the directory/file name first. Single-clicking on it will highlight it. Once it is highlighted, then right-clicking on it will bring up the drop-down menu that will include CHMOD and you can set the permissions.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited May 23, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hi,
I hate to tell you that I couldn't get a directory CHMOD using my version of WS_FTPLE. I have done everything you said and the following are the ONLY options I see when I highlight a directory and right click on it. The options are: Change Directory, Make Directory, Delete Directory, Refresh List, Directory List, FTP Commands (under this option there is no CHMOD command). But when I follow your instructions for a file(in the lower window) I see a Unix Chmod command. Could this be because of I am using WS_FTPLE standard edition not the PRO version? I understand this is not a WSFTP_LE help newsgroup and your help is really appreciated. Thank you so much for your time! If I can get this one thing to work I can probably make the links program to work. I will keep trying my best.
Thanks again.
Kumar
Quote Reply
Maybe you have an older version of WS_FTP LE that doesn't have the option in it for directories. I use the same LE software but mine is v4.60. If I left-click on a directory name and then right-click on the same directory name, the CHMOD command is listed in the drop-down menu. If you click on the "About" button in the WS_FTP screen, you should be able to check your version number.

You can get the latest version at www.ipswitch.com/cgi/download_eval.pl?product=main

Be aware, though, WS_FTP LE is not Y2K compatible but the Pro version is.

If all else fails, get the Gossamer Threads FileMan script and install it on your system. You can chmod your directories, and a lot more, with it.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited May 24, 1999).]