Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
To Bobsie
Hey sorry about my last message... I've been trying to get this program up and working, well it does work but I can seem to change the look.

I'm really dumb when it comes to HTML. As soon as I got use to FP98 I stoped with the html unless I had to use it.

About the templates...
When I try to put some code in it nothing happens so I don't know how to use the templates.. Any help or tips about how to change the templates to where I want my page to look like how I want it to please let me know...

Thanks again and
I'm very sorry..

Jay
donutjc@earthlink.net
Quote Reply
Re: To Bobsie In reply to
To use templates, you just turn them on in links.cfg. Set $build_use_templates = 1; to use templates. Then, put the HTML code you want to use in the templates and, when done, rebuild the pages. Inside templates, you can use what are called links_tags that look like <%variable_name%>. You can use the admin feature to edit templates and, when you do, there is a link that will tell you what links_tags are available for the template, if any.

Also, the %globals array located at the top of site_html_templates.pl has variables that can be used in any of the templates. It looks like this:

Code:
%globals = (
date => &get_date,
time => &get_time,
db_cgi_url => $db_cgi_url,
build_root_url => $build_root_url,
site_title => $build_site_title,
css => $build_css_url,
banner => ''
);

So, in the templates, you can use (for example) <%date%> to specify today's date where ever you want it to appear.

As I remember things, FP has problems with the <%links_tags%> but, as was stated in another thread that I pointed to you before, surrounding them with <p> </p> kind of prevents FP from messing with them. There may be another way of doing that.

Let me know if you have any further questions about templates. I will be glad to answer what I can.