Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Template problem

Quote Reply
Template problem
I've customized the templates to match my site but when I do a build after adding a link or category the tables on the pages get all out of whack most likely due to an errant HTML tag. The problem is, which template controls that? I assumed it was home.html which i've checked repeatedly to see if there's a problem. It works fine in preview mode and in browser testing. But, when I add a link and do a build the 'index.html' file for that category gets whacked with the tables bumping into each other and forcing a distorted page.

Please, which template controls the 'index.html' builds?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Reply
Re: Template problem In reply to
It's been a while but you might want to check category.html too. Are you using the newest links? If not then go to site_html_templates.pl for the category building area.

Also, you mentioned that you did browser testing? As in through dreamweaver or such? If so that might be a problem too.

I hope this helps or at least gives you something to go on until a guru stops by.

Good luck

on the pages in between ...
Quote Reply
Thanks. I'll check that one as well. But the Category page remains ok when I add new links. It's the 'index.html' page in each of the various categories that gets blown out and only the ones that have new links added to them.

What I need to know is what template dictates the changes in the 'index.html' pages of those categories.

Is it the 'category.html' template? Please, anyone.

Quote Reply
Hi again,

Like I said it's been almost a year since I did anything with links2.0 but a quick look in home.html show this on line 32.

<%category%>

That's why I mentioned the category.html template. If I remember correctly the index page is built with your categories on it. A slight html error could blow your view out. I also mentioned thatt html editors like dreamweaver since they aren't 100% I always fix my code with another text based editor like BBEdit since multiple changes in an edotr like Dreamweaver does leave artifactes which could cause trouble.

I'm also relatively sure that home.html is file that is the template for index.html.

Could you leave a link to were your site is? I'm sure I or someone else will give it a look.

good luck,

Quote Reply
Great...here's the URL

www.simcoweb.com

click on the PerlScripts section. It looks fine now cuz I fixed it. But you can see how the page is laid out with the tags.

FYI, I usually take the template from the site (even if it's the blown version of the page) via FTP with a text editor (Textpad) and then copy it into my HTML editor (FrontPage 2002) and make the changes, paste it back into the Textpad then FTP back.

My suspicions were that it's the home.html template as well. But I can't find anything wrong with it. As I mentioned, I preview it in both the 'preview' mode in FP and in the browser (IE 5.5) and it looks fine. Then, when I add a link and do a build it shoves one table off the page and onto the bottom. Obviously it's a bad table tag somewhere but I wasn't sure which template controlled the 'index.html' pages for the categories.

Take a look and tell me if you see anything. Or, I can send you the template HTML as it sits in the admin directory.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Hi,

Checked out the main page and all tags seem to be fine 5 minutes of diging at least but ... seems to be ok.

Since category.html is also used for building the index.html ... nph-build.cgi iin links 2.01 now uses it's own template so ... that'd be the place to check too.

I guess your best bet would be to check category.html 1 more time and try in site_html_template.pl the sub site_html_print_cat area. this looks like the only remaining html outside of the templates that might interfer with your templates html.

I wish I could be of a help, I really know how it feels to be working on something and it just doesn't wannna go right. At these times I just go take a break and come back later ... it does help. :D

good luck