Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Sudden error with Mailer.pm or Perl 5.006

Quote Reply
Sudden error with Mailer.pm or Perl 5.006
For over a year I used a link-submission system on my webpages (called MegaLinks - you can find them at http://www.stonepages.com/megalinks/) which worked like a charm.
But recently I'm having some serious problems with e-mail sending through cgi - and please note that I didn't change the configuration file nor any other file that could have started the error.
Anyway, when someone tries to add a link, after clicking on the "submit" button this message appears:

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : fatal error: admin/Mailer.pm did not return a true value at add.cgi line 161.

Script Location : add.cgi
Perl Version : 5.006001

I have checked the files and they all seem fine. In particular, line 161 of the add.cgi reads:

require "admin/Mailer.pm";
my $mailer = new Mailer ( { smtp => $db_smtp_server,
sendmail => $db_mail_path,
from => $from,
subject => $subject,
to => $to,
msg => $msg,
log => $db_mailer_log
} ) or return;
$mailer->send or return;

There is definitely something wrong with the sending of e-mail messages through the Mailer.pm. Maybe it's something related to the Perl 5.006 upgrade of my hosting provider? Does anybody know how can I resume the normal operation on my system?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Diego Meozzi
Administrator
Stone Pages
http://www.stonepages.com/
Quote Reply
Re: [Nightjar] Sudden error with Mailer.pm or Perl 5.006 In reply to
please post the last couple of lines from Mailer.pm.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Sudden error with Mailer.pm or Perl 5.006 In reply to
Please note I didn't change/alter Mailer.pm in any way: it's still as it was when I first installed it. Anyway, inside that file there is a routine called "Package":
Code:
package Mailer;
# ===============================================================
use strict;
use Socket;
use FileHandle;
use vars qw($VERSION $error $CRLF @ISA @EXPORT); # Globals.
@ISA = (); # Not inhereited.
@EXPORT = qw();
$Mailer::VERSION = '1.0';
$CRLF = "\015\012";
and 9 other subroutines called:
Code:
sub new
sub error
sub initialize
sub send
sub send_smtp
sub send_sendmail
sub set_options
sub clean_email
sub log_msg
Which one do you need? And I still believe the problem should lie somewhere else... Anyway, thanks for helping!

Diego
Quote Reply
no, I literally want to the the last couple of lines. if a module does not end with a true statement such as:

Code:
1;

than a "use" or "require" will fail.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
These are the last lines of Mailer.pm:
Code:
$msg
--------------------
Mode: $mode
SMTP: $smtp
Sendmail: $send
Remote Host: $ip
Remote Ref: $ref
Program: $app

~;
close LOG;
return 1;
}

1;
Quote Reply
hm... try changing "admin/Mailer.pm" to the full path to Mailer.pm

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Things are getting weirder...
Changed the path to full URL (and checked it does exist at that address), but now I've got this:
Code:
CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : fatal error: Can't locate http://www.stonepages.com/megalinks/cgi-bin/admin/Mailer.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.6.1/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at add.cgi line 161.
I'm still convinced there is something wrong with the new Perl 5.006 that the previous version handled in a better way... But I cannot go back!
Quote Reply
You need to use absolute server path, not the URL where the Mailer.pm is located:

Example:

/serverpath/youraccount/cgi-bin/admin/Mailer.pm
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Sudden error with Mailer.pm or Perl 5.006 In reply to
Yes, that was a stupid mistake of mine... Anyway, now I've corrected the server path, and this is the result:
Code:
Error Message : fatal error: /home/virtual/stonepages.com/var/www/html/megalinks/cgi-bin/admin/Mailer.pm did not return a true value at add.cgi line 161.

Script Location : add.cgi
Perl Version : 5.006001
Unsure ... And what is driving me crazy is that every other cgi-driven function (search, random selection of a link, rebuilding) works perfectly. It's just the e-mail handling that simply stopped working! Frown

Last edited by:

Nightjar: Oct 11, 2003, 11:26 AM
Quote Reply
OK, I finally solved that problem just replacing the Mailer.pm file with a fresh copy. Now everything is OK, so probably that file was corrupted.

Diego