Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Recommended structure for installing on a cgi-bin?

Quote Reply
Recommended structure for installing on a cgi-bin?
Hello,

I've successfully installed links on my home computer using the default installation structure (which assumes you can execute cgi scripts anywhere). Now I want to put links on my web site that is a hosting account that can only execute scripts on the cgi-bin folder, What's the recommended way I should install links on my website to ptotect the administration data etc??? Should I put the add,search,modify and jump scripts on the root of the cgi-bin and then create a folder /cgi-bin/admin/ to put the administration structure and then password protect it? I'm a little confused on this so please help.

Thanks...John
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended structure for installing on a cgi-bin? In reply to
That would be the ideal scenario. We have it setup the same way.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommended structure for installing on a cgi-bin? In reply to
Actually, I've found it better to place scripts that are part of a package in a seperate directory. This way, if you decide to add a forum, calender, or some other script that has several executable files, you can have /cgi-bin/links/, /cgi-bin/forum/, etc.

As for the placement of your admin directory, I would highly suggest that you not name it admin. It is commonly known that the administration area for Links is the admin directory. Even if it is password protected, there is the possibility of someone getting your password. The first thing I do when I install Links is use a directory name that only the owner of the site could remember. It will give a little extra security to your site if only you know where your administration area is.