Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Request Failed (500). Message: Can't locate object method "_new_socket" via package "

Quote Reply
Request Failed (500). Message: Can't locate object method "_new_socket" via package "
I have get up links 2.0 and every thing works good but the verifying links. When I try to use the ,"Quick Check or Detailed", I get an error:

Request Failed (500). Message: Can't locate object method "_new_socket" via package "LWP::Parallel::Protocol::http".

I'm not much of a programmer of cgi , so anyone got any ideas to help?

------------------
John
Quote Reply
Re: Request Failed (500). Message: Can't locate object method "_new_socket" via package " In reply to
Did you upload the LWP package from the LINKS download package? If not, make sure that you have uploaded the LWP modules to your /cgi-bin/links/ directory. If that doesn't work, then your web account is NOT configured to execute scripts utilizing LWP modules.

Talk to your hosting company.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Request Failed (500). Message: Can't locate object method "_new_socket" via package " In reply to
I don't know if my server has LWP in use. I'm have e-mailed them, but does not links 2.0 work anyway with out LWP? Here is a clip from the read me file I got with it:
-----------------------------------------
Links 2.0 now has support for link checking without LWP! The script will first try and use LWP (which will be much faster), but if it can't it will try and use IO::Socket, a standard module.
-----------------------------------------
If so then why do I get the error? Is there something I can set to get it to use the "IO::Socket" ?

------------------
John
Quote Reply
There are some edits that Alex made that will allow the nph-verify.cgi file to work. I can't remember which forum he posted the codes.

However, LWP is the better method.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
My ISP had e-mail me and said that I do have LWP installed on the system. I don't know very little about LWP. Why do I get this error then? My ISP told me "It is installed. Its not called via a path. Its a perl module that is called within the script". Is there something I can do or set in the nph-verify.cgi or links.cfg ?

------------------
John