Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Chaning Directories Names

Quote Reply
Chaning Directories Names
I am somewhat of a newbie to CGI and Links so I had an installer install Links 2.0 for me. I am finally getting more comfortable playing around with the scripts and I would like to change a couple things now.

Problem # 1. Links' homepage is built to a directory called: links. I would like to rename it to: search. What files and lines would I have to edit to make this change, with the exception to the templates? Is this an easy fix?

Problem # 2. My Admin directory is a sub directory of my domain's cgi-bin. My ISP says subdirectories of the cgi-bin cannot be password protected. They tell me I should create a script alias in the srm.conf file to create another secondary cgi-bin directory which I can put the /admin folder in. My question is, what files and lines will I have to change in the Links files if I change the location of the Admin. Do you have any other suggestions or advice for a situation like this?

TIA

------------------
Warning: The dates on the calendar are closer than they appear.

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited June 10, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Chaning Directories Names In reply to

Quote:
Problem # 1. Links' homepage is built to a directory called: links. I would like to rename it to: search. What files and lines would I have to edit to make this change, with the exception to the templates? Is this an easy fix?

All you need to change are the variables $build_root_path and $build_root_url in links.cfg. However, you will have to manually delete the directories and files created in the links directory or use the "Delete all" mod located in the Resource Center at [urlhttp://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Links/Modifications/Version_2.x/[/url.

Quote:
Problem # 2. My Admin directory is a sub directory of my domain's cgi-bin. My ISP says subdirectories of the cgi-bin cannot be password protected. They tell me I should create a script alias in the srm.conf file to create another secondary cgi-bin directory which I can put the /admin folder in. My question is, what files and lines will I have to change in the Links files if I change the location of the Admin. Do you have any other suggestions or advice for a situation like this?

Again, the only changes you should need to make are the $db_script_path and $db_dir_url in links.cfg. If you have any of the .cgi scripts configured to use the full path to links.cfg in their "require" lines, you would have to change those as well.

In a nutshell, all paths and URLs needed by Links are based on the first 5 paths and URLs specified in links.cfg.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Chaning Directories Names In reply to
Thanks so much for the in-depth reply Bobsie. I have problem # 1 all figured out and its works!

Now I just need to figure out these instructions my ISP gave me to create this alias and secondary cgi-bin. I am beyond confused.

Note to Alex: Suggestion for subsequent releases...Include some type of password protection built into the admin similar to what UBB uses in their Control panel. That will make it much easier for newbies like me.