Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

failed to open log file

Quote Reply
failed to open log file
I moved to a new server over the weekend, and started getting this error on add.cgi. However, modify and search are working fine.

failed to open log file
fopen: Permission denied
[Tue Sep 23 04:41:14 2003] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.x] Premature end of script headers: /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/links/cgi/add.cgi

I did some searches on the boards and found a few posts that mentioned a links.log file. I checked for that file and it is not in the original zip. So, I created one and tested it in a few different directories. No luck!

I also read about add.cgi ,issing the last }, so I verified that it was included.

Now I am stuck!

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: [RTM111] failed to open log file In reply to
What mods do you have installed?

I don't even think fopen() is a perl function, but a PHP one!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] failed to open log file In reply to
Thanks for the response.

It has been awhile since I installed any mods, and I can't remember which ones (if any) I am currently using.

It was working fine prior to the move. The move consisted of create a tar, move it over, unpack it, and make a change to the paths.
Quote Reply
Could be down to your sendmail path... that has given me problems before.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
checked sendmail and it is set at:

# PATH of sendmail. # SMTP Server

$db_mail_path = '/usr/sbin/sendmail'; $db_smtp_server = '';

checked these setting using a info.cgi script that I have, and it shows:

Mail Program=
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail /etc/sendmail.cf /usr/lib/sendmail /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.8.gz

Quote Reply
Do you have anything defined in links.cfg, as a mail-log?

Also, when you uploaded the add.cgi (from the original ZIP file), did you upload in ASCII? What happens if you run the script via SSH?

Quote:
perl /path/to/your/cgi-bin/add.cgi

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
did not find anything in links.cfg

This is what I received when I went to /cgi and ran add.cgi

perl add.cgi
Content-type: text/plain

Error including libraries: Can't locate /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/links/cgi/admin/db_utils.pl at add.cgi line 31.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.
Quote Reply
line 31 of add.cgi is

require "admin/links.cfg"; # Change this to full path to links.cfg if you ave problems.

require "$db_lib_path/db_utils.pl";
require "$db_lib_path/links.def";
Quote Reply
I am getting the same error when I attempt to run modify.cgi from the prompt, but it works fine via the html link.

bash-2.05a$ perl modify.cgi
Content-type: text/plain

Error including libraries: Can't locate /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/links/cgi/admin/db_utils.pl at modify.cgi line 31.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.bash-2.05a$
Quote Reply
try using:

require "/full/path/to/admin/links.cfg";

as reported in quite a few threads in this forum.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Quote:
require "admin/links.cfg"; # Change this to full path to links.cfg if you ave problems.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
- made the change

require "/home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/links/cgi/admin/links.cfg"; # Change this to full path to links.cfg if you have problems.

- ftp ascii

failed to open log file
fopen: Permission denied
[Wed Sep 24 14:38:21 2003] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Premature end of script headers: /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/links/cgi/add.cgi

Quote Reply

No luck so far, so I contacted a few of the Installers listed in the Resources to see if they are interested in taking a look at it.
Quote Reply
I had exactly the same problem today, with a lot of files after transferring them to a new server. I could solve it by changing the paths to perl, in the files that refer to it at the top. e.g. changing #!/usr/local/bin/perl to #!/usr/bin/perl

Maybe this helps some one some day...