Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Ratings Directory??

Quote Reply
Ratings Directory??
I have downloaded all and have looked all over and cannot find any directory in the downloaded files named "Ratings". Where would I find this directory? Many thanks to you, as I have looked for a couple of hours and can't find it. The "Readme" says I have to set permissions on the "Ratings Directory" but this directory isn't there.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Ratings Directory?? In reply to

the rates directory is in your cgi-bin
cgi-bin/links/admin/data/

Quote Reply
The Readme and several posts here refer to the "Ratings" directory. If it is supposed to be the "Rates" directory, I wish that had been clarified. Would have saved me much time.

Now when I try to use the "Rate it" I get the following:

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Can't open for output counter file. Reason: Is a directory
Script Location : /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/links/rate.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00503

In reading posts here, the only solutions offered are check your permissions and make sure you uploaded in ASCII. I triple checked permissions and uploaded twice in ASCII. Are ALL the files in the DATA directory supposed to be 666 as stated in the Readme?

Everything seems to be working except the "Rate it" deal.

Any help would be verrry appreciated.

Quote Reply
There are two distinct directories:

1) Ratings - located in your non-cgi-bin main directory. This is for displaying the Top Rated and Top Voted sites.

2) rates - located in the cgi-bin/links/admin/data/ directory, which stores the index.html file as a placeholder file and also stores the rating files with the ratings, unix time, and IP Address.

The rates and Ratings directory need to be set to either of the following permissions:

Code:
766 (rwxrw-rw-)
OR

Code:
777 (rwxrwxrwx)
The problem you are having is most likely related to improper permissions of the rates directory.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eliot, I really appreciate your advice, but my problem turned out to be template related. When all the permissions checked out, I began to suspect the rate.html template. I found an error in the template, corrected this and wonder of wonders it works perfectly. Thanks again for your kind assistance.