Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Problem with installation

Quote Reply
Problem with installation
Hi,

I have waded through the posts here and could not find the answer so here is my question.

Just installed the program

Received this error on the webpage
Error including libraries: Can't modify concatenation in scalar assignment at /cgi/admin/links.cfg line 8, near ""http://atasc.org/cgi/admin";"
syntax error at /cgi/admin/links.cfg line 20, near "# Use IIS headers? Set this "

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

Received this error on the log page

06/05/00 02:58 "/cgi/admin/admin.cgi", proc "/usr/local/bin/perl":
Bareword found where operator expected at /cgi/admin/links.cfg line 20, near "# Use IIS headers? Set"
(Might be a runaway multi-line ?? string starting on line 19)
(Missing operator before Set?)
Number found where operator expected at /cgi/admin/links.cfg line 20, near "to 1"
(Do you need to predeclare to?)
Semicolon seems to be missing at /cgi/admin/links.cfg line 20.
Scalar found where operator expected at /cgi/admin/links.cfg line 21, at end of line
(Missing operator before ?)

Just a note.

Files transferred in ascii and permissions set correctly (check by host company)

Any help appreciated!

Laura

Quote Reply
Re: Problem with installation In reply to
Sounds like a syntax error problem in your links.cfg file....Please save your links.cfg file as a text file, then upload it to a publicly accessible directory in your web server, and then post the URL to this text file.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks Elliot!

Here is the URL

http://www.atasc.org/links.txt

Please please please ...if you find that it is a really dumb mistake do not give me a hard time. I really am a total newbie!

Laura :)

Quote Reply
Well...one problem I see is that the file you posted is all in one line...(bunch of codes together...not on separate lines like they should be). You should edit the ORIGINAL links.cfg file in WordPad or another text editor than Notepad or Simpletext (if you are using a Mac).

I do not have time to go through all your codes, but I bet it has to do with the corrupted format that is causing problems with executing your LINKS script.

Edit the file again (carefully) in another text editor than Notepad...then upload the file to your server.

Try executing your admin.cgi script again.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks I will give it a try

Laura