Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Problem
Hi,

I have installed Links 2.0 and when I click on admin.cgi in my browser the resulting HTML is interpreted as text. That is, rather than the browser displaying the web page it displays the HTML source code generated by the CGI script.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Quote Reply
Re: Problem In reply to
Is your server configured to execute BOTH .cgi and .pl extensions? If not, then your server needs to be re-configured.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
thanks,

I know that my browser is configured to execute .pl but not .cgi. As for the server, I am running Apache and I do not know how to configure MIME types. I believe there should be a mimes.type file somewhere but I cannot find it.

Quote Reply
Uh...Perl/CGI is a SERVER application NOT client-based application (like Client Java or javascript), so the problem is with your SERVER configurations! You do need to have .cgi and .pl set to EXECUTABLE in the MIME types. And if you already have .pl set, then change all your .cgi extensions in Links to .pl and the scripts should work.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I still cannot get this working. As I see it, the .cgi and .pl must be being executed as pointing my browser at admin.cgi does not display the source code of admin.cgi it displays the source code of the HTML returned BY admin.cgi. This surely means admin.cgi is being executed, right? It is just that netscape is interpretting the data as pre-formatted text rather than as HTML to be interpretted. Is there something I need to set in netscape ?