Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Possible New Host Not Allowing LWP module

Quote Reply
Possible New Host Not Allowing LWP module
Hi,

I have to move from the current server I use to a new location and the place I've chosen says that they are having security problems with the LWP module and so aren't allowing it.

Now on the requirements page for Links 2.0 it says "
  • OptionalAn installed LWP module and Net::FTP module if you want to use the verify links routine. If you can't install it, the script will work fine except for the verify links routine."

• Is this true? Will the search engine search work properly without it? I never used it myself cause it kept stalling and quitting on me and I have a seperate program to check links.

Please let me know if anyone knows. Email me at gaspers@eskimo.com

Sonja Marie
    Quote Reply
    Re: [SonjaMarie] Possible New Host Not Allowing LWP module In reply to
    The search engine should work fine without it. As far as I know it is only used in the nph-verify.cgi script. Your best bet is to give it a try and see if it will work Tongue

OR, you could open up search.cgi and try doing a search for;

require LWP

OR

use LWP

Hope that helps a bit Smile

Andy (mod)
    andy@ultranerds.co.uk
    Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
    GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
    Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
    Quote Reply
    Re: [AndyNewby] Possible New Host Not Allowing LWP module In reply to
    In Reply To:
    The search engine should work fine without it. As far as I know it is only used in the nph-verify.cgi script. Your best bet is to give it a try and see if it will work Tongue

OR, you could open up search.cgi and try doing a search for;

require LWP

OR

use LWP

Hope that helps a bit Smile

If you mean the search.cgi for mine, I did, and didn't find any LWP mentioned.

Thanks for the reply!

Sonja Marie
    Quote Reply
    Re: [SonjaMarie] Possible New Host Not Allowing LWP module In reply to
    In that case you should be fine.

Andy (mod)
    andy@ultranerds.co.uk
    Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
    GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
    Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
    Quote Reply
    Re: [AndyNewby] Possible New Host Not Allowing LWP module In reply to
    as for nph-verify.cgi, there is NOTHING your host can do to prevent you from installing LWP or NET::FTP locally. And these modules don't pose security risks... they could however suck up a lot of bandwidth.

--Philip
    Links 2.0 moderator