Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Playing with validate.db , links.db and url.db

Quote Reply
Playing with validate.db , links.db and url.db
Let's see...

One you add a page from admin tool it goes directly to links.db

But when you add a page like a normal user then go to validate.db, and if people have add you 140 pages, you have to click 140 times (each for page) to validate all...

A solution for that:

You put all lines in validate.db to links.db (and create the url.db too), and then you have all the pages in links.db visible to all people.

Then you validate all from the admin tool with QUICK or DETAILED (last 2 links)...

Is that possible / correct / well done ?

what is exactly 'url.db' ??
Quote Reply
Re: Playing with validate.db , links.db and url.db In reply to
ok...

let's imagine that i know that all people who add his link is a good link... that i'll approve...

Then there is the fastest way, isnt it ??

anyway, i dont understand what is the "work" of the file url.db ... cause links.db has that information already
Quote Reply
That would no doubt be a quick way to add listings, but you'd also be wide open to abusive submissions and possibly offensive titles and descriptions.

The whole point of the admin/review process is to 'weed-out' unwanted sites before you display them to your visitors.

I'm sure someone would be able to help, but I would think carefully about the quality of your content first.

Just a bit of friendly advice.

All the best
Shaun

------------------
Shaun Hague
Webmaster - Qango.com
http://www.qango.com/central/
Quote Reply
The purpose of URL.DB as far as I understand it Smile:

The main links database has all of the information required to build the listings on the pages.

You can have lots of different fields of data depending on how you've set it up, but even the standard links has many field, e.g.; ID, Title, URL, Description, Date, Category, Hits, isNew, isPopular, Rating, Votes, etc.

So ... to create the listings we need most of this information, but to send someone to the website when they click on it the only thing we need is the URL.

This is where url.db comes in ... it is very simply a database of the ID and the URL ... so when someone clicks on a listing to visit a site jump.cgi uses the ID, looks in url.db, finds the URL and then your visitor is sent to that site.

What it actually does is makes links faster because it doesn't have to trawl through the mass of details in your links to find the URL.

All the best
Shaun
------------------
Shaun Hague
Webmaster - Qango.com
www.qango.com/central/

[This message has been edited by qango (edited January 24, 2000).]
Quote Reply
qango is absolutely correct.

I would highly recommend that you do not delete out the Validation process, unless you password protect access to the add.cgi file via .htaccess or another method.

Because, I could easily access your site and use your add.cgi file to SPAM your database.

You wouldn't want that now, would you???

And you would still have to build your database anyway. So, it really isn't faster to say the least. Just cuts out the validation process, which IMHO is very dangerous and stupid.

BTW: What does this have to with installing LINKS, anyway? This would be a more appropriate topic in the Discussion Forum.

Sorry, Mark...had to say it.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. Smile
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 24, 2000).]