Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Path Problems
I installed Links 1.11 this morning and have had no problems understanding the instructions. I have followed the "2.2 Detailed Install" to the letter, I hope. I installed the scripts on my server at http://www.pm-systems.com/radiolinks/ and I made sure we are using the latest available version of Perl5 with LWP module. I have setup permissions as instructed.

Now I am ready to test. I went into the admin subdirectory, entered my user name and password, and got the index.html page. Next I went to add a category. I got the following error:

File Not Found
The requested URL /radiolinks/admin/admin.cgi/category was not found on this server.

I think I need some additional help with the user defined path statements in the links.cfg file. I have tried several variations to no avail. Please give me some additional help with this problem. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Beau (edited December 28, 1998).]
Quote Reply
Re: Path Problems In reply to
What web server software is your ISP running?

It sounds like it is not Apache, and may need the IIS patch (available on the Main Links Download page)

--mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UID# 8602162

Quote Reply
Hi,

What webserver are you using? It sounds like IIS which doesn't understand PATH_INFO properly (the /category after admin.cgi).

If so, use the links-iis patch available from the Links home page.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Thanks, Mark and Alex, for the prompt response to my question.

I am running on an Apache server (Iserver Virtual Server). I have loaded other Perl scripts without too much trouble. Last week I loaded the freeware version of UBB, a great program!

Should I load the IIS patch anyway?
Quote Reply
Ha, Alex!

Beatcha buy 1 minute :P

Check out the replies, see how great minds think alike Smile

Beau, that sounds stange, that you are using Apache and getting that error (are you positive it is apache?). Try the IIS patch and see if it helps.

-mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UID# 8602162

Quote Reply
Mark, thanks again for the help.

I loaded the IIS patch as you suggested. I did not get the before mentioned error; however, now my browser just brings up the script file in text format, it does not execute the file. I setup the permissions as instructed.

What's next? FYI: I fully intend to send you guys a well deserved $150 for registration, once I get it installed and running. You price is fair. I think an effective links directory for the radio industry that is fast and accurate, without a million ad banners, whould be a great way to attract visitors and future customers to my site.

Thanks again for your help.
Quote Reply
Alex has jumped to my rescue and fixed the problem. I made a dumb rookie mistake. I am posting his response so other rookies can learn:

"The problem was you can only run cgi scripts inside of the cgi-bin. I created a directory 'links' off of cgi-bin and moved
the scripts into there. The admin html pages are still in the same directory (as you can't view html pages inside of cgi-bin)."

Thanks Alex for all your help!