Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

OH YEAH!! Search This mo fo....

Quote Reply
OH YEAH!! Search This mo fo....
I think I'm getting better at getting people into my posts Smile

Here's my question...can links be configured to search categories only, rather than the whole database.

P.S Any onw know of a highly functional banner ad script that runs well with links 2.

Mic
Quote Reply
Re: OH YEAH!! Search This mo fo.... In reply to
Change "@search_fields = (1,2,5);" in links.def to search on the fields you want it to search on. The default is Title, URL, and Description. Category is field 4.

The most functional banner advertising program I know of is WebAdvert located at http://awsd.com/...badverts/index.shtml

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited April 14, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hi Bobsie,

I did what you said, but I do not think it worked.

I changed to this
@search_fields = (1,2,4,5);

But it made no difference. However, I do not think I was clear in my request. I would like to allow the visitor the option of searching just within a category or the whole database. More importantly, I want the potential user to be able to click into the province of Manitoba and then search that province only, for whatever they are searching for.

To get a better idea of what I mean, please g to the page, click Alberta and search for Weblife 2000. It comes up. I don't want it to because Weblife 2000 is a Manitoba business. See?

www.GateWest.net/~mic/CGI-BIN/links/pages

[This message has been edited by makker (edited April 14, 1999).]
Quote Reply
A "search only this category" mod is already posted in the Links resources section:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Links/Modifications/Version_2.x/more2.html

You may want to put the search fields back the way they were...I'm not sure how it will affect the mod.
Quote Reply
Brad,

I didn't refer him to that because the mod is for a beta of Links v2, not for the final release. There may be things in it that are not in the final Links v2.
Quote Reply
Thanks man

Oh great bobsie.

So what should I do...wait on it?

Mic
Quote Reply
Ooops! Sorry Makker, I didn't realize that I haven't installed it myself (doesn't really make sense for my site), I just remembered seeing it listed. Thanks Bobsie!

[This message has been edited by Brad Richardson (edited April 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Brad Richardson (edited April 15, 1999).]
Quote Reply
makker,

You can attempt to install it, but be aware that there may be differences in the instructions and what is actually in the scripts being modified on your system.
Quote Reply
Is there any one on this board who would be willing to update the sub sub categories search mod......or walk me through the upgrade/installation.

I asked the originator of the mod, but he said he was too busy.

I need it BAD.
Quote:
no sexual overtones intended

------------------
Quote Reply
Did this get overlooked?

Quote:
I changed to this
@search_fields = (1,2,4,5);

Would @search_fields = (4); work?