Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Need more install information

Quote Reply
Need more install information
I'm new link v2. user.I'd like to know about all install information, such as:permission of *.pm file,where is index.html of admin directory and other information.I install v2. without upgrade from any version.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Need more install information In reply to

Quote:
I'd like to know about all install information, such as:permission of *.pm file,where is index.html of admin directory and other information.I install v2.

All that information is included in the readme.txt file that comes with the Links v2 archive. As to the index.html file in the admin directory, there isn't any. The admin pages are built dynamically by running admin.cgi from a browser using a url similar to: "http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/admin.cgi".

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
I agree that the program is somewhat lacking on installation instructions. I mean this in the best way possible; I love DBMan, and links looks quite appealing. However, I cannot get it working from the supplied instructions (DBMan was the easiest script I've ever installed).

I added a link from within the admin menu and went to look for the output in the "pages/" directory, but nothing had been built anywhere. Calling that directory from the browser merely brought up a page with the files in the directory. Is there something else that has to be done first? Permissions that must be set beyond what's listed in the readme file?

Also, the program seems to be setup for surfers to add their links. What about when the webmaster is putting together links lists and does not have contact information? The only way around this I could find is to make up a name and email address for the nonexistent person.

As far as css, is there a way to not use it? I don't have much css experience, but most of what I have read says to avoid it due to compatability issues.

I hope this all doesn't sound too negative. I really would like to get the script working. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Kaplan (edited April 04, 1999).]
Quote Reply
OK, scratch what I said about not being able to get the script working... Apparently my problem was not having my data directory chmoded (I was getting a build error).

A couple questions:

Why does the program build 247 pages for one link?

The page doesn't finish loading. It hangs up, saying, "looking for host: localhost..." Does this mean a path is not specified in one of the scripts?

I agree with another poster's thread that it would be nice if the admin section was automatically password protected, but it doesn't sound too hard to work around.

I apologize if all of these questions cover too many topics for one thread.

Dan

p.s. My pages directory is at:
http://www.dankaplan.com/runninglinks/pages/
Feel free to poke around.
My sample category shows up, but not the link below it.