Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Lost password
Blush I cant remember my admin password. Anyone know how to retrieve it without reinstalling the script?

Thanks,
madbomber
Quote Reply
Re: [madbomber] Lost password In reply to
Upload a new (blank) file over your existing .htpassword file, then start over... May need to replace the .htaccess, too. Since the password is encrypted, you can't just read the file to see what it is.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Lost password In reply to
Hi, dont want to appear dumber than I am, but if I replace .htpassword wont that change passwords ro all my other programs and.or secure areas?

The reason I ask s that I dont see a .htpassword file in any of the directories pertaining to this program. I just see a general one on my server.

Sorry, Blush i'm not a techie.

--madbobmer
Quote Reply
Normally there would be an .htaccess and an .htpasswd in your Links admin directory. It does not come with the download, you have to add it yourself. If it's in that directory, then it only protects what's in that directory.

You should have an .htaccess in your root directory, too, and no, do not replace it! Is it only Links that you cannot access? Or did the lost password affect other things?

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Thanks, no its just the links admin that I can not access. So should I create a new .htaccess file? And if I do, should I itsert it in the cgi-bin/links or cgi-bin/links/admin thanks.

-- madbomber
Quote Reply
There is no .ht file there? It should be in cgi-bin/links/admin. I would not create a new one if there is not one already there. I'm not sure what's up, where the file would be. When you try to get to the admin, you get a standard log-in form box? Three tries and your out? You can try asking your webhost about it.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Don't forget it may be hidden by your FTP software.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!