Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Links 2 data upload

Quote Reply
Links 2 data upload
I Am curently using another script for my search engine which has approx. 8000 links signed in, however I plan on changing to Links2.
1-Is there any way of transfering the links from the other script to the Links2 script?
2-Does Links2 have capability of loading in many links at one time?
<a href="http://www.primefind.com/cgi-bin/go/search.pl">
My current search engine </a>

Quote Reply
Re: Links 2 data upload In reply to
In Reply To:
1-Is there any way of transfering the links from the other script to the Links2 script?
Bulkload Mod located in the Resources section of this site.

In Reply To:
2-Does Links2 have capability of loading in many links at one time?
Yep...again the Bulkload Mod.

However, and this is a big however, if you have over 8,000 links, you should consider LINKS SQL since LINKS 2.0, which is a flat text file based system will most likely crash with that many Links.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I've tried the bulkload utility. And had no problems updating my links.db file. I have 1400 links added now.

But how do I create the categorie? Must I edit the file by hand?

Quote Reply
You can either modify each link individually via admin.cgi to add the categories...or you can edit the file offline via MS Access or Excel...to add the categories, then export the spreadsheet or table as a tab delimited text file, then edit the text file to use your own delimiter specified in the links.def file...do a find/replace, then save the file as links.db, then upload the file back to your web server in the data directory...make sure you have a clean backup of your links.db before doing the offline method...

For more info on offline editing...search the Links 2.0 Forums for offline editing and you will find a bunch of Threads where this has been addressed before.

Regards,

Eliot Lee