Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Link wipe out @ build

Quote Reply
Link wipe out @ build
Hi
Quote Reply
Re: Link wipe out @ build In reply to
ooops sorry for all the information above :-)

I was adding links and then validated the records. This included 30 links over the last two days I indexed on links.

When I went to use "build All" It wiped out the last two days of links I actuall indexed by validating.

The build did give an error and then worked fine. Any suggestions what might of happened?

I lost 30 links worth of work, or did I? I checked the files themselves and they are empty as when I first started adding links,

Thanks
Quote Reply
Do you remember what the error message was? Also, check the admin/backup directory and see if the links.db was backed up. If so, it should be restorable. Don't forget to update the linksid.txt file as well to show the highest link ID number used.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited August 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I honestly beleive the error was the below error message as it happened so fast and of coure I panicked, loosing fifty validated links. Back to the drawing board as they say. But, hopefully I'll learn something from this and so will everyone else should they encounter the same disaster.

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Error building! Links database is 0 bytes!
Script Location : /usr/local/www/htdocs/paaw//cgi-bin/admin/nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00404

links.db file reads 4-137
links.txt file reads 159

however, I since started to re-enter the links in which they are taking and maybe that's the difference in the count?

The disaster wiped out two different days.

1 day which included 15 links.

Today which included 35 links.

I don't know what happened other than that above error message.

Also, The categories "remained" that I just built today, but the links I put in them were wiped out? Strange things are going on, no?

I checked the links.db file and it does have the date of 8/28/99 of which I installed 15 links. I also have today's 8/30/99.

What bugs me is how it wasted the links under these new categories but did not touch the newly built categories.

What do you think, any suggestions?

Thanks gerardo
Quote Reply
again, it happened and I need help. I had 152 links on the web site and they all been wiped out during a build.

I tried doing a stagered build where it stated DETAILED BUILD NOT TURNED ON.

Is there anyway I can get these links back?

It keeps all the created categories but wipes out the links?

I checked within the admin (the back up) it seems to have the dated files in there.

How do I get the "build all" to read the back up folder within the admin.

In other words, HELP!!!

Gerardo
Quote Reply
My links.db is in my data directory and not in the backup directory, is this right it seems like that's the way it was supposta set up.

Gerardo
Quote Reply
I had something similar caused by flock not being supported, every time I built the links.db was wiped clean, I fixed it by turning flock off in links.cfg, not a good thing to do, but I had no choice.
I did get a flock not working error though.
chmod
Quote Reply
I have to admit that I did not keep a copy of links.db on my hard drive and I am wondering if I had, could I of uploaded it to my server and have it rebuild with the copy of my hard drives link.db, since flock may be a problem?

Wasn't that an ingenious thing for me to do by not keeping a copy? (dumb on my part, very) Anyway, The links I installed were just to see how it looked and now that I know I have a "grave" problem, I better find a solution around it before I really start using links.

Was is flock anyway? I saw it in links.cfg, any suggestions?

Thanks

Gerardo
Quote Reply
ooops, I ment, what is flock? sorry.
Quote Reply
To date the testing I've done is more or less stating what I should of done in the first place in my above posting.

I made a copy of my links.db for my hard drive. I created 3 links and then edited the link.db on my server to show no data. I did a rebuild and it wiped out the 3 links leaving me with a 0 link count.

I then took the copy on my hard drive and uploaded it to my server and did the "build all" and lo and behold all 3 links once again appeared. So maybe I don't have to shut flock off but keep a back up like I should of done in the first place.

I don't know if this is a situation where it will only work up to so many links, but I'll invest some slow building time to investigate further.

Anyway after each build all, I'll download the file to my hard drive to make sure I have the data preserved.

Any other comments?

Gerardo