Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

Installation problems

Quote Reply
Installation problems
Ok, darn it, I had this program almost working at one point, should have asked a question then rather than fooled around with it myself. To make a long story short, I deleted the first installation and started over, being very careful to make sure my paths are correct and that files were uploaded in ASCII. After I uploaded everything, went to bring up the admin page and this is the error I'm getting:

Error including libraries: Can't locate links.cfg in @INC (@INC contains: /web/sites/skb52/missadventurer/cgi-bin/links/admin /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/local/lib/site_perl/i386-linux /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /web/sites/skb52/missadventurer/cgi-bin/links/admin/admin.cgi line 27.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

I tried doing as the instruction said and included the full path in that line, that didn't help at all... infact, when I did it I got a 500 error. I'm not really sure what permissions my directories should have other than what was suggested, how about the cgi-bin and links directory under it?

my path is /web/sites/skb52/missadventurer/cgi-bin/links/

Getting really frustrated, please help.

------------------
Circes
Quote Reply
Re: Installation problems In reply to
The cgi-bin directory and links directory underneath the cgi-bin should both be 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

Make sure that you have the following for your require line for the links.cfg file in the admin.cgi file:

Code:
require "/web/sites/skb52/missadventurer/cgi-bin/links/admin/links.cfg";

Or simply use the following:

Code:
require "links.cfg";

Or use the following:

Code:
require "./links.cfg";

Some servers are set-up to use the path codes below the file and file name, others you have to specify the complete ABSOLUTE PATH to files.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Thanks Elliot. I looked at all that you suggested, and I even tried all the different ways to enter the path to links.cfg, but to no avail. I checked and changed the permissions to 755 on those directories, but when I tried to access the admin program, I got the same exact error. Somehow, it cannot find that links.cfg file.

Let me ask you this. When I installed the program the first time, and was actually able to access the admin program (the only problem I had was the build function and I think I now know why it didn't work, needed to set the permission on the backup file) I had my host password protect the admin directory as suggested. Then after fooling around with it, I decided to just delete it all and start from scratch (that's helped before Smile Could deleting that password protected directory have caused some condition that is preventing the script from working now? I do not have the paths set up the same way at all and I did ask a tech for my host who said it shouldn't have any effect.... but I just don't know.

Any other ideas?

------------------
Circes
Quote Reply

Quote:
Then after fooling around with it, I decided to just delete it all and start from scratch (that's helped before Could deleting that password protected directory have caused some condition that is preventing the script from working now?

Yes....That is your problem. By deleting or messing up the .htaccess file, you may have inadvertantly screwed up the directory settings.

My suggestion...ask your hosting company to re-install the password protection and don't *&^% with it!

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Well, I spoke with my host, he fixed the htaccess file for me but didn't find anything wrong with the directories. It just didn't make sense that I had this working for the most part at one point and then when reinstalling it, it just can't find the configuration file even though I am giving it the correct paths and all. I'm going to try one more time, unzip the original file and start from scratch, if that doesn't work... guess I'll just have to find something else to work with.

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Ok... my webhost was kind enough to go over the problems for me and fix it so that it works.... I guess I had some permissions set incorrectly (not sure why though, I followed directions). Anyway, now I've added categories and wanted to test the build function (the categories are empty) and I get this error:

Error Message : Error building! Links database is 0 bytes!

Is that because the categories are empty or do I have another problem? I see that the backup worked, but where will I find the index.html page when a build does take place... it's not in my pages directory. Also, in reading through the posts here, I remember seeing something about not having the pages directory under the cgi-directory.... I do have it set up like this....

mydomain/cgi-bin/links/pages.... do I really need to move this directory? (I hate to mess with that script now that it's working again Smile I have backed up the working directories to my HD though... just in case Smile

Oh, and I went to the resource area and read the NPH thingy, tried it and then got another error saying document contained no data... so I restored the original script.

You guys should have a search function for all the discussions here.... it is incredibly time consuming to go through all of these posts trying to find answers.
Quote Reply

Code:
$build_root_path = "/ROOTDIR/links/pages";
$build_root_url = "http://www.yourdomain.com/links/pages";

And then change the permission of the /pages/ directory to 777 (rwxrwxrwx).

Quote:
You guys should have a search function for all the discussions here.

Duh...there is one...Click on the [ Search ] link at the top right corner of the Forum Home Page or in the Topics.

Wink

REALLY hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center