Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Installation -- Unix :

I'm switching to UNIX from NT

Quote Reply
I'm switching to UNIX from NT
Okay that's it...
I can't stand everything from the speed, downtime, reliability and there's too limited of script that I can use.
We are considering a dedicated Unix server with budget around $250/mth. Anyone here knows anything about Hispeed? They seems to be very professional, but I don't see anyone of you (Links owner) is hosted by them.
Also, I would also like to ask about transfering all my data and files from NT to Unix. Will it be as easy as normal transfering or must I have to do some other tedious stuff? I never use Unix before.

I'm currently using Links2.0 and would also like to upgrade it to Links SQL.

Please advice, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm switching to UNIX from NT In reply to
Just so that you feel better about this move, let me tell you something, I have tried like almost 1 week to make links work on my on NT server with all the access rights and etc, but it took me only 1 hour on a Unix server...

I have heard of Hispeed they seem good, was considering myself about moving to them, but havent found anyone who I can ask how good they were. so if you get any info, would be great if you let me know too Smile

When I transfered my files it was just a matter of changing my conf files, and it hasnt taken me long at all so you shouldnt have any problems at all.
Quote Reply
Web2010 (www.web2010.com) has really good deals on dedicated UNIX and Linux servers.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Sorry, I totally have no experience with dedicated server. People says that you need to have knowledge in OS for it. I'm not sure wether I have it or not. For the pricing, please advice me.

Web 2010 - Setup($252.45), Monthly($212.38)
Celeron 466Mhz
4.3 GB Hard Drive
64MB Ram
2 IPs

Hispeed - Setup($150), Monthly($200.00)
Pro2 - Linux 32 (RaQ2)
4.3 GB Hard Drive
32 MB Ram
16 IPs

Which one is better? Which one is worth to run LinksSQL? I actually only need 2 or more IPs. This is mainly for CName(subdomain). Please also take note that I have never install any Perl or whatsoever before in my life and I'm also not sure wether this price is included with bandwidth.

------------------
Quote Reply
Well, one thing you to compare with the hosting companies is their database hosting options, like MySQL, and also how many tables you can set-up in the dedicated server.

Another thing to check is their security in terms of firewall hardware and software, to ensure that your server is protected. Web2010 has a very good firewall system. You'll have to contact them for details.

Also, I would stay clear of RAQ servers as they are not easy to maintain especially for novice programmers and administrators.

If you are unfamilar with UNIX, you may need to hire someone part-time to assist you with maintaining the server.

And those prices do cover bandwidth...which is close to unlimited for most hosting companies.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 30, 2000).]
Quote Reply
I can also vouche for web2010. been with them 3 years and not one complaint. Their support and service is top notch.

I dont have a dedicated server with them though.

--mark
Quote Reply
Yep...I have been with Web2010 for two years. You can actually talk with tech support people without waiting on hold for hours. They are responsive and knowledgable.

So...tech support is another element you have to consider.

However, keep in mind...that with a dedicated server...hosting companies ASSUME that you are knowledgable about maintaining servers and do not provide as much technical support as virtual accounts.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 31, 2000).]